Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Constructive Criticism

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    katurah01
    Participant

Ok..SO I think I am good,I have been told by many that I have a talent and the eye for doing photography..Where I live there are a lot of photographers..it seems everyone who owns a DSLR is a photographer..I have heard rumors about certain people saying I am a fauxtog,but it comes from other photographers,which to me makes it seem like they are jealous or cant handle competition..what do you think? This is one of my favorite photos that I have done..https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/396082_10151120286435395_873344305_n.jpg

Tell me what you think….

joe
    Participant

You really cant get an idea from one photo.  The lighting looks good, all nature light?  Its a little on the yellow side for my liking.  I usually only like grain in B&Ws.  This also has a very square crop.  I am not crazy about radical cropping.  This is all opinion though.  The blade of grass near the lips creates a bit of distraction and pulls the eye.  The subject is the main focus and nothing to distracting.  The composition within this strange crop is good.

jetpix
    Participant

Tryig to be constructive here . . . . .

I see 4 things.

1.  Colors.  Did you intend the yellow cast?  Gives baby a jaundiced look . . . .

2.  Some of the highlights are a little blown out.

3.  Can you clean up the drool on the chin?

4.  The blade of grass cutting through baby’s face is a little distracting.

I otherwise like the composition –

katurah01
    Participant

It isnt cropped,and it is supposed to have the aged look..but thank you..I could have lessened the exposure a bit..

Brownie
    Participant

I’d agree with Jet, the highlights are blown out, the yellow cast is a bit too extreme, and maybe the subject matter gives me a personal sense of fauxtog, I’m just not feeling it personally. It’s not my muse.

katurah01
    Participant

here is another..I love working with children and I prefer the not so posy looks..although these have been posed it just looks natural to me

katurah01
    Participant
    katurah01
    Participant
    Brownie
    Participant

Technically, that is a better photograph. The whites aren’t so blown out. My professor always wants us to check the edges profusely to make sure we use the frame successfully.  There’s a lot of empty space at the top for my taste, I would have been tempted to tilt the camera down more to see what’s going on the the foreground a bit better. And the branding kind of ruins a little bit of it for me.

jetpix
    Participant

Cute –

The yellowing does make it look a bit retro (and is softer and more acceptable in this shot) – like the little kid shots my dad took of me in the ’60;s.  Almost kodachromish . . . .   If you are going to have the stuffed animals in the shot, don’t cut off the head – either have it and show it, or get rid of it . . . . .

and, BTS, FYI, IMHO, if you are asking, then no, you are not a fauxtog.  Fauxtogs don’t ask – they don’t care.  They don’t want to know, or learn anything, or do anything decent . . . . . .

joe
    Participant

The second photo is much better.  Still not crazy about the yellow tint.  I would cut the tags off props though.

You said the first photo isnt cropped?  What camera are you using that gives you a square image?

jetpix
    Participant

I have no problem with the space at the top.  It’s not necessary to fill every pixel with subject – perspective is just as important.  I would just like to see it pulled back a bit, and panned down to show a little more of the stuffed animals . . . . .

katurah01
    Participant

It is how I have it zoomed in,I was using the 55-300mm lens and got in enough for a clear front shot

katurah01
    Participant

wait..I lied..that is cropped,I took it from my profile album..this is the full one https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/532152_10151108093180395_608298286_n.jpg

katurah01
    Participant

Sorry I just realized it..my apologies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.