Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? constructive criticism is appreciated…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    hrodgers
    Participant

Here is my site, please let me know what you think. Thanks!

http://hrodgers.com/

dicksforeyes
    Participant

The stuff you did with flash is awful. Other than that, the rest of it looks ok to me. Which is to say a little better than just anyone with a DSLR.

AndyF
    Participant

I presume the stuff with flash has been taken down?

hrodgers
    Participant

No, AndyF nothing has been taken down.

hrodgers
    Participant

I hardly find that constructive criticism… However, I heave ready some of your postings on here and do NOT take anything you say credible.

hrodgers
    Participant

have*

IHF
    Participant

Better attention to light needs to be made, especially with your outdoor shots.  A lot of them have splotchy sun, and unwanted shadows.  If controlling where, and when you shoot is too difficult for you (events, and people with dificult scheduals to work with) looking into light modifiers is a must for you, and your endevours.  Indoor shots, almost seem to be shot on auto to me.  Hard to tell for sure without a full session to look at.  But seems that there isnt much control either with lighting or settings.  WB is all over the place, and exposure seems a bit off.  The consistency in your shots,  just isn’t there.

With that being said, I don’t think you suck, there’s definitely something there, and with a little work/time/and studying, I can see you improving quickly.  Are you Ready to take on clients for money?  It’s a no from me right now, but I think you have some real potential.

deztheninja
    Participant

Try not using your zoom and use a prime lens if possible. It makes you think a lot more. Im going to also look into some light modifiers myself.

IHF
    Participant

As much as I hate to agree with you know who….. Currently, anyone with a dslr and an interest could have taken your shots.  But like I said, I can see you stepping up your game with a little effort

Al
    Participant

Hmm.. hate commenting without much to add, but I have to say that I hate Fauxtography nailed it (again, I swear I’m not stalking you!) and despite dicksforeyes difficult to swallow approach, I agree with him in that anyone could have taken those shots.  It’s the trendy style at the moment, so therefore millions are doing it.  I don’t see, however, what he’s talking about re: flash, as I only saw one shot obviously with flash and yeah, it wasn’t good (http://www.hrodgers.com/gallery/upload/2012/05/14/pwg_high/20120514120207-4835aba1.jpg).

Also, I found many of your backgrounds distracting.. most clients might not notice, but I do, so advice may not matter to clients. That’s a thing to remember when asking advice from other shooters, we care about things the may not care about or even notice, so keep that in mind.

The main issue I have is what IHF said about careful with your lighting and WB when shooting outdoors.. wildly inconsistent.

PS as much as dicksforeyes is a blunt prick (not saying that bad dfe!), the little time I’ve spent on this site leads me to agree with  him (and IHF) more than most.  His body of work lends him credibility even if the words/methods are hard to swallow.. just sayin’.

dicksforeyes
    Participant

Maybe there is only one with flash. The effort I’m willing to invest in these things is almost nonexistent. My eyes refuse to look.

Also, it seems pointless to offer detailed advice as there are dozens of other sites where one can solicit critique. The only reason to come here for that is the vain hope of positive feedback, given that the bar is so low. Sorry that didn’t work out for you, hrodgers.

IHF
    Participant

I think you’re right dfe, but not in all curcumstances.  I think a lot of inquiries here are legit.  Yes, there are much better places out there to receive CC, but a lot of beginners are unaware of their existence.  Mostly because they haven’t looked for it.  YANAP for a lot of people is the first place they have ever saw criticism.  YANAP is shared rampetly between fauxs. How do I know this?  It was the first harsh critisisim I saw out in Internet land.  You have to keep in mind how much Internet nicey nice happens out there and how much new photographers are marketed to.  To market, you have to be a little dishonest (ok more than a little) and uncritical of your clients and push them to keep doing what they do, to sell your products.  What sells?  Easy, “anyone can do it” motivation, you are good enough, its all about our eqipment, software, actions, websites, templets, props, products, etc.  Its powerful.  You get your camera and wow yourself, and then share with family and friends, and wow them, then you seek out other photographers like yourself, andjoin some happy little forum somewhere.  All the while you are building a happy little bubble for yourself.  CC pops that bubble and pushes you to get better, and realize you aren’t as fantastic as you thought and have a lot of growing to do.  There are people like me out there that want their bubble popped.  They want to learn and be the best they can be.  They respect the medium and the profession.  Yeah, probably more out there that rather stay in their bubble than really become a photographer, a lot more… But I’m not going to assume EVERYONE that comes here falls in that category.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.