Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Confused from the UK!

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    fstopper89
    Participant

Worst Case Scenario… did you say you’re 50 miles north of Milwaukee? That should put you in my neck of the woods. And JC Findley, sounds like you’re familiar with my territory as well! Small world?

There are A LOT of French names for cities here, as well as Native American names. A small town near me is called Calumet. The real pronunciation is “Cal-you-may,” French for “peace pipe” which the settlers found with the Indians there. But colloquially it is pronounced Cal-you-met. And there is a Calumetville within miles away. Near Green Bay, there is a suburb called De Pere. The French pronunciation would be “Day-pair” for “The father.” But we pronounce it “Duh-peer,” with more emphasis on the last syllable. I think we have it all wrong. My friend from out of town still calls Calumet “Cal-you-may” no matter how many times I tell him how we all say it here.

Funny story, at my old job, a retail store, a woman originally from Tennessee worked there. I was a supervisor. A man checked out and forgot his tube of caulk. She yelled to me, “Hey! Catch that man, he forgot his cock!” or that’s how it sounded at least. I was confused for half a second.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

We blur things out like that WCS because we are a very litigious bunch and rather than risk a lawsuit they cover it up.

I assumed it was something like that, but I can’t see how having your name on the TV could be grounds for a law suit. Companies usually have to pay for TV exposure. Are you sure it’s not the TV companies not wanting to give free advertising?

Worst Case Scenario… did you say you’re 50 miles north of Milwaukee?

Nope I’m in the UK, which is much more than 50 miles north of Milwaukee

A small town near me is called Calumet.

Calumet (pronounced as spelt) is about the only UK pro photo retailer still in business. http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk  but I never knew it was peace pipe in French.

And before you ask, I do not know why our beer sucks.

Actually your beer is LAGER. Beer comes out of pumps warm and is drunk by the pint by people in bowler hats.

nesgran
    Participant

Actually your beer is LAGER. Beer comes out of pumps warm and is drunk by the pint by people in bowler hats.

I’m more a tweed and flat cap man myself

There is also the classic joke: What similarity is there between American beer/coffe and making love in a canoe? It is fucking close to water.

cameraclicker
    Participant

BrownEyedGirl89

Worst Case Scenario… did you say you’re 50 miles north of Milwaukee?

I’m the one about 50 miles north, but also 450 miles east of Milwaukee.

sarah5string
    Participant

Good to see another Brit! I’m from the bowels of hell formerly known as south Staffordshire.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Did I see some Dan yr Ogof on your flickr page?

fuzzypiggy
    Participant

My brother-in-law’s from Florida and my family is from London. In the US you pronounce A as a nasal AA sound not extended ARR sound, and as Londoners we slur our TH sounds to sound like F. As I said to my brother-in-law when we were over there, “Dave mate, hard day I really need a ‘b-AR-f’!” which he was none to pleased about and quickly ushered me towards the  toilet, when he should have pointed me to the shower or “tub”.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.