Home Forums Photography Showcase Composites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    nairbynairb
    Participant

Hello, fellow photo people!

For a while now I’ve been wanting to get into doing more composite shots and putting a LOT more thought into my images.

There’s been a trend on the internet of people doing the force-choke and stuff like that so I thought I’d give it a try!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80294871@N07/9459184923/lightbox/

Let me know what you think!

I’m pretty proud of this and I think the only thing I would change if I were to do it again would be to find a bit better of a backdrop (perhaps move away from the cars a bit more)

cameraclicker
    Participant

I think their positions are all pretty good.  The two on the left could use more contrast or could be darker as the sun is coming from behind them and there is no obvious light source shining on them, darker would better match the shadow on the guy in red.  Why is the guy in red the only one casting a shadow on the grass?  Why is there a shadow of his arm on his leg?

If it were a movie, the sequence would be over in a second and you would have to watch a dozen times to see the light.  Being a still, it is easier to see the shadows are strange.

iliketag
    Participant

I definitely agree about shooting farther away, or facing away, from the cars. It’s a very clean composite – so I think it looks pretty great for a first try! Maybe try finding a different background entirely? I think the dark trees in the background for the second guy from the left (and the first one from the left too, actually) is having a bit of a merger problem. The problem is more notable on the second man, he’s just kind of being sucked into the abyss! Other than that, it’s a great start!

I hope to see more!

iliketag
    Participant

Awe damnit C.C.
    Now I can’t unsee the shadows! :p

ebi
    Participant

no. stop! don’t do that.

iliketag
    Participant

Seriously? Screw this Ebi guy! He’s a complete asshole.

emf
    Participant

I think this looks good and I really like their poses.

I do agree with you OP about the b/g though – especially the cars, which appear a bit inconsidered. I think with an image like this, there is a strong sense of narrative and thus every element in the image either adds or detracts from that narrative. Imo there are other locations which would have added more to the image/helped build the story; such as an alley way, a street scene, an urban environment etc. Maybe even a suburban setting which would create an element of irony or humour. Obviously it depends on the story you are wanting to tell.

From an aesthetic viewpoint, the background is similar in tone and colour to the men, which makes them blend a little into the b/g – though the lighting is very nice (in my book) and does help separate them, I feel a different colour or value b/g would allow them to stand out much more and create a more dynamic image – echoing the dynamic subject matter.

From a newbie viewpoint I think the execution looks good too.

Just my two cents 🙂

ebi
    Participant

iliketag, it’s dumb. stop being a whiny little bitch.

emf
    Participant

Seriously, you need to stop being such a massive TWAT. I know I’m new but from what I’ve seen so far, that isn’t what this community is about. Some of your comments rile me, some I have respected,  learnt something and been grateful for, others such as the above are plain simple bullying.

Why is it dumb? The issue IS completely subjective and even with your apparently  vast experience and knowledge of photog, by not understanding that, you are demonstrating a lack of knowledge and understanding of art – if you can’t see this is a matter of taste. You call out fauxtogs and no doubt think they bring a bad name to photog – but photographers like you, with such arrogance and disdain for everyone else gives an equally bad name to a beautiful medium.

BCLC
    Participant

I think it’s time for EBI to put up or shut up!!

ebi
    Participant

it’s not arrogance and disdain for everyone, just bad photographs. the photograph above is poorly composed, badly comped and horribly shot. The idea is cute, not conceptual. OP wanted to know what we thought. I’m but one opinion. While all of your opinions are  trying to help him improve this image technically they distract from the most important problem – you cannot polish a turd. The idea is not clever. Do something else and stop wasting your time. I’ll try to be a more detailed asshole from now on.

ebi
    Participant

BCLC. i offered you some advice on your post. So i put up just fine.

emf
    Participant

“it’s not arrogance and disdain for everyone, just bad photographs. the photograph above is poorly composed, badly comped and horribly shot. The idea is cute, not conceptual. OP wanted to know what we thought. I’m but one opinion. While all of your opinions are  trying to help him improve this image technically they distract from the most important problem – you cannot polish a turd. The idea is not clever. Do something else and stop wasting your time. I’ll try to be a more detailed asshole from now on.”

It’s your opinion the idea isn’t good. That doesn’t make it a fact. He likes the idea and it’s his art – not yours – you don’t like the idea, so don’t do it. But he’s not wasting his time. You have to be true to yourself in art and not try to please anyone else.

There’s a million things I don’t like in art that others do, and I’m sure vica versa for the things I do. It shouldn’t be soley (or maybe even at all) about if you like it subjectively, I think that is beside the point in critique.

It’s not being an asshole to give harsh feedback – it’s being an asshole to just give one liners saying ‘it sucks’, ‘it’s shit’ etc. without saying why – and just leave people hanging. You know because you seem to know shit loads, so how about some elaboration. Otherwise what do you expect anyone to learn?  People are on here asking for help and sometimes you give great help that teaches – other times you don’t.  So yeah, a more detailed asshole would be great, cheers 😉

ebi
    Participant

It’s your opinion the idea isn’t good. That doesn’t make it a fact.

It also doesn’t make it fiction, either.

You have to be true to yourself in art and not try to please anyone else.

No. You have to do both. But 9 times out of 10 you have to please everyone else.

it’s being an asshole to just give one liners saying ‘it sucks’, ‘it’s shit’ etc. without saying why – and just leave people hanging.

The alternative is to say nothing at all. My opinion is that I don’t like the idea. He can take it for what its worth, which isn’t much, and move on. If he wants to know more, then he can ask for it and maybe i’ll respond. But I’m getting the impression that a lot of people on here are just looking for some sort of validation that what they are doing is good. I’m not going to be the person to give it to them.

emf
    Participant

“It also doesn’t make it fiction, either.”

True, it’s as valid or invalid as the creator decides I guess.

“No. You have to do both. But 9 times out of 10 you have to please everyone else.”

In commerical photography yes, in fine art photography or any other fine art medium, no.

“The alternative is to say nothing at all. My opinion is that I don’t like the idea.”

Not at all, if you read my comment you’d see I’m not suggesting that – just to explain why you don’t like something.

“…then he can ask for it and maybe i’ll respond.”

Jeez, are you friggin  Bresson or something? You SHOULD respond – if you give a critique you should explain yourself clearly.

But I’m getting the impression that a lot of people on here are just looking for some sort of validation that what they are doing is good. I’m not going to be the person to give it to them.

Well, that’s your perception and I guess you are right with some. But this is a quite a scary site and I think most posting here do understand that they’re going to get harsh critiques – if they want solely validation they would stay on flickr for the awesome capture comments. They wouldn’t come here in the first place.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.