Home Forums Photography Showcase Can I have some CC please.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Drew
    Participant

Could you please take a look at some of my photographs and tell me if it’s worth me pursuing photography. Thanks in advance.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124068824@N04/

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

Could you please take a look at some of my photographs and tell me if it’s worth me pursuing photography.

More background info is needed here…

Are these your first shots ever, or is this an example of your skill after years of practice? Are you looking for a career in photography based on these examples or merely pursuing a hobby?

One photo does intrigue me however… the one taken of the earth from I’m guessing 75,000 feet or so.

cameraclicker
    Participant

One photo does intrigue me however… the one taken of the earth from I’m guessing 75,000 feet or so.

Photograph by André Kuipers/ESA/NASA

Amazing Space Photography by Astronaut Andre Kuipers

cameraclicker
    Participant

Could you please take a look at some of my photographs and tell me if it’s worth me pursuing photography. Thanks in advance.

It’s late.  I’ve been processing photos for a few hours.  I’m not a fan of B&W.  Your photos look soft.  That could be my eyes, or your photos.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

that’s why it intrigued me! Drew, I’m guessing you haven’t been out on a space walk recently.

Why put that photo in your portfolio? Did you want us to believe YOU were practicing shots in space?

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

and when you hover the mouse over the pic, it says YOUR NAME?! Honestly, are you taking credit for famous shots from outerspace?!

It’s not worth you pursuing photography if you’re going to palm off other digital art as your own.

You lost all cred with me, Drew. Oh, and by the way, remember the egg. CC knows what that’s about, and I think you better watch that video every day until you get the idea. Which may be never.

cameraclicker
    Participant

The video referred to:

The best camera may be the one you have with you, but a little point & shoot will not deliver professional quality photos from many available light situations.  Look at your 186, 207 or 217, for instances.  The sensor is too small, so the photosites are extremely small so they can fit 16 mpx of them on the chip.  As you get into more expensive cameras with bigger sensors, the camera delivers better dynamic range and shadow detail improves.  Even with better cameras, for shots like those mentioned, a light is usually placed behind the subject to provide separation of the background.  His socks and shorts, and most of her tutu blend into the black background which leaves floating body parts.

Your Canon PowerShot A1400 does not appear to have a hot shoe, so you have the options of trying to control strobes using the built in flash (which would be difficult), or adding light from a continuous lighting system.  The inexpensive version of that is a couple of table lamps.  You can get dedicated lamps for a couple of hundred dollars which while not powerful will suffice if your subjects stay relatively still and you use short lenses like the A1400 has.

If you are looking for a career and trying to decide what courses to take, look at business and journalism programs with a minor in fine arts.

Drew
    Participant

I think it’s safe to say I haven’t been in space. That picture was uploaded as a cover photo for that site :/

I have always had an interest in photography as a hobby. The photographs featured here have been done over 3 months. (when I started doing portraiture)

I start my diploma in photography, level 3, in September.

Thanks for the criticism and sarcasm though.

Drew
    Participant

To add: I have umbrella lighting and vinyl backdrop.

Drew
    Participant

Thanks for the advice CC. I will take it on board. 🙂

emf
    Participant

It’s really good you are already experimenting with lighting considering you have only being doing portraiture for 3 months – many people are scared of off camera lighting so well done for getting stuck in!

I think it would improve your images to invest in a relector though – or even experiment with a home made tin foil one, or simple piece of white card to give you an idea of how they work etc.; as currently the unlit side of your subjects is getting lost within the dark background. With some reflected light you would retain some detail of the other side of your subject while keeping the low key effect.

Drew
    Participant

Emf, I never use my flash. Should I?

emf
    Participant

I’m only just starting myself so am not the best person to ask but if it’s a pop up one I wouldn’t, I never use mine, if it’s a speed light, then do, but bounce it off the ceiling or maybe attach it to a light stand at an angle from your subject, also it is great to use for fill light on a sunny day so your subject can face away from the sun, and avoid squinting  and harsh lighting etc.

Drew
    Participant

It’s a built in flash and I don’t like using it to be honest

nesgran
    Participant

So I’m guessing you are using a continuous light in that umbrella. It is rarely a good idea when it comes to people as they either don’t give off enough light or they will melt the face of the person you are photographing. A speedlight will give you far more flexibility. Personally I’m not a major fan of umbrellas either as they will spill large amounts of light everywhere. Sometimes it can be handy as it gives you ambient light as well as directional light but for the majority a couple of softboxes are going to be a better option. Umbrellas are great for learning though as they are cheap as chips.

As for your photos, I like them for most part but they leave a bit to be desired. Had they been taken with a proper camera they would have been passable as the lighting is usually interesting enough to carry the shot. First off get rid of the borrowed photo, it isn’t yours and shouldn’t be there. Second, the half naked lady with the tattoos need to go, they are not flattering shots. Sepia next to B&W is not a look that works, either or is the key. The big problem is your camera, it simply isn’t capable enough to work in this setting and you are going to have to spend a little money to progress from where you are.

First purchase should be a new camera, or rather a used camera. My suggestion for bargain basement camera would be a canon 40D in decent nick. Add to that the very decent 50mm f1.8 lens which can be had for very little. I don’t know what the used market looks like where you live but here the combo above would set you back around £200, or about twice what your powershot cost. Reason for a 40D is that they are very cheap for the performance you get from them as people don’t want 10mpix anymore which is stupid. The body is solid metal which gives it more heft which in turn makes it more stable. It has a decent autofocus system and the images from it are brilliant. Because it was positioned in the semi pro bracket when it came out it has more options than your equivalently priced rebel series camera would and also far better ergonomics.

Next purchase would be two speedlights, yongnuo 560III combined with a single yongnuo rf603 will allow you to sync the flashes wirelessly. You have one lightstand and umbrella already so you probably only need a flash bracket for that and another stand, bracket and umbrella or softbox for the other flash. The reason for the second flash is to be able to lighten shadows or provide rim light as needed. Three flashes would be ideal but obviously more expensive. White, grey and black foam board is handy to have and you can use them as light modifiers or as reflectors, especially if you glue tin foil to one of them. Each will cost a couple of dollars in A1 size which is pretty big.

If you can’t swing the light set up above a single speedlight would work, the poop up flash on the 40D will be able to fire the flash is slave mode. The speedlight you would use like you are using your lamp at the moment, except it gives you far more light.

Stick camera in manual and tweak light until you can shoot at iso 100, f8 and 1/100 (last doesn’t really matter with flash)

Good luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.