Home Forums Photography Showcase Can I have a critique please?

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Sharra
    Participant

I expected no less even after I thought you might be different from responding to another thread you recently started. I’m of the opinion, as I’m sure there are others who feel the same way, that aspiring photographers are not going to improve if the ebis of the world continually tell them their work is a fucking piece of shit. They won’t listen to that and they’ll continue as they have all along with no chance of improving. There is nothing wrong with an approach like “Your photo lacks this and this and that, but here are ways you can improve it…” said with some tact even if you’re looking at the worst photo you’ve ever seen. Friends and family will always like their stuff, but it’s the rest of the world that matters if they have any chance of succeeding. I’m no psychologist, but positive reinforcement goes a lot further than negative and harsh criticism can be dealt once the photographer has more expectations placed on them from potential clients.

As for having no interest in showing your portfolio, I won’t pursue the issue, but I have to wonder, what are you afraid of? I’m sure you’ve heard the term “Put up or shut up.”

Enough said. Say what you will, but I consider the debate closed.

ebi
    Participant

I’m putting up just fine. Time for you to bugger off now.

nesgran
    Participant

I think the problem with ebi is that he is a bit of a twatty person in general which is probably multiplied on the internet and the second problem is that he is completely unaware of what constitutes a good critique and he hasn’t got a clue as to what constructive feedback is.

ebi
    Participant

I think the problem with everyone who won’t let this die is that they don’t know when to shut the fuck up. Second you just love to hear yourselves talk, and third you make really bad assumptions about my character when you don’t even know me.

I’m bored, moving on.

fstopper89
    Participant

The reason people are judging you to have poor character is because you continually use phrases like “STFU,” “Go away,” and like to use profanities directed at posters here. A harsh critique is fine, but name-calling and petty crap is childish.

You come here and call everyone mediocre photographers will all the same poses as everyone else, yet won’t let us see your work. That’s fine if you don’t want to, and you might have your reasons, but don’t go telling others their work isn’t that great when we don’t really have anything to judge it against or see what you’re judging it against.

A critique usually has some bad points countered with good points. You might see a really grainy photo with bad exposure, and say that, but maybe the pose or composition were pleasing. You don’t need to just say “This photo is crap, the exposure is way off and you don’t know what you’re doing.” In the real world (yes, I used your term) like in photography/art school and in  the business world it’s more courteous to reaffirm someone they are doing at least something right, or give helpful suggestions on how to do it right if they are not. Not “Go away you suck.” Would you do that in a job? Maybe you’re your own boss and you call all the shots, but do you think employees or clients would respect anything you say if you spoke to them that way? No one here is professing to be the world’s greatest photographer. Many of us know we’re quite good, but i doesn’t mean we can’t still improve.

ebi
    Participant

it’s more courteous to reaffirm someone they are doing at least something right, or give helpful suggestions on how to do it right if they are not. Not “Go away you suck.”

To the best of my knowledge I have not said anything remotely like this to anyone upon initial review of their work but only when they’ve irritated me with excuses or attacks on myself rather than looking at their own work.

The threads follow a pretty consistent pattern:

-Poster asks for critique
    -I bring up valid points in a sometimes harsh manner.
    -I’m called mean, rude, arrogant, etc and/or OP makes excuses for his or her shortcomings and then I do say something rude.
    -The conversation devolves even further and becomes more about me being an asshole than about the original post.
    -conversation dies

my point is, that I do not start out with personal attacks. I do not call someone an idiot until they prove themselves to be one. Coming in here asking for critique and then getting defensive about it, whether I am rude or not, is idiotic.

Would you do that in a job? Maybe you’re your own boss and you call all the shots, but do you think employees or clients would respect anything you say if you spoke to them that way?

You don’t work for me and I don’t work for you. Those situations are completely different from the one here so your point is moot. I understand the point about treating people like you want to be treated. I don’t take issue with people who think they are the worlds greatest photographer. I take issue with people who think they are better than they are. People who let their pride and ego get in the way of their ability to grow and learn.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.