Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Bring your Rolaids

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    CPowers
    Participant

I’d be happy to upload a RAW, just pick a file. I’m using a ASUS VS247 monitor. I really like it but I have done no calibration on it. The magenta looks really hot in those newer images. Some have a reto skin tone but it was 100 degrees that day and we were sweating to death, that may be where the red was coming from.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Sharra, it’s been a while, I think it was Vista that the Spyder II didn’t like.  At the time, I spoke with the Spyder folks at a trade show and they suggested downloading drivers or upgrading to a Spyder III.  I tried downloading drivers and that was no help.  I dropped HP as a supplier due to their poor product support, so I dropped Spyder for the same reason, and changed to a Colormunki.  So far, I like the Colormunki better.

My understanding is there are only a few monitor manufacturers.  They make monitors and rebrand them to suit.  Samsung is one that actually makes monitors.  They offer a huge range of prices and quality.  I have several of different vintages and different shapes.  This one is a P2350 which is 1920 X 1080.  The one in my office has a little more resolution.  They are adequate for what I do.

nesgran
    Participant

it doesn’t matter that much if the monitor is lower resolution as long as the screen is smaller. 24″ works with 1920*1080 or better 1920*1200 for more vertical space but I think it is too low res for a 27″

As for the apple display, it isn’t bad and it looks amazing but it is like most of the apple stuff more expensive than the competition. The Dell monitor with normal colour gamut is basically the equivalent but about half the price using the same panel technique. The wide gamut version will be better than the apple display simply since it can show a lot more colours and still be cheaper than the apple. Problem with dell is that there are a lot of monitors going out from their factory that have problems with uneven light, colour problems etc but when you find a good one they are actually good monitors. Obviously not up to the pro spec nec or eizo but certainly enough for a fledgling photographer.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

I’d be happy to upload a RAW, just pick a file.

From your facebook page, this is one of the worst…..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=449215061838195&set=pb.425262187566816.-2207520000.1379324681.&type=3&theater

But remember that colour is very subjective, if more than one person has a go at it, you’ll end up with several variations.

As for monitors – I’m apple based as well, and I have PC friends who struggle to get a decent monitor set up. I’m guessing that the standard apple colour calibrater is easier to use and gives a better result than most aftermarket PC software.

However I run two 24″ Acer monitors from my mac pro, and I colleagues with Ezio and Lacie monitors who can’t believe how good they are. In fact, apart from costing 4 times more. The only real difference in them is that the Ezio’s and the Lacies can be viewed from almost anywhere in the room. Whilst my Acers  change significantly if you are not sat directly in front of them. However, as I’ve never had the urge to do my editing whilst  on the toilet, so it’s never been a problem.

CPowers
    Participant

@Worst Case, that image was actually shot in Jpg and was done on an old monitor well before I started shooting everything in RAW. All of Riley’s shoot is RAW, would you like to look at one of those?

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

EFP0074 looks like the redest, let’s see what I can make of that one.

CPowers
    Participant

My site wont take a RAW. If your comfortable with it I can email you a dropbox link.

CPowers
    Participant
    ebi
    Participant

oh you use nikon…that explains a lot. I find their skin tones to be ridiculously red/orange. a wedding/event photographer friend of mine uses nikon and every image he puts online is crazy orange. I did a quick white balance off the white in her dress. She has very rosy cheeks. But this image doesn’t really have good light. I would recommend that you get a simple white, grey, black color checker and do the color balance off that for each setup.

CPowers
    Participant

Yes, the cheeks were very rosy due to the 100 degree heat that day. In the time since I uploaded that file, I did the same WB adjustment off the white in the dress and the results were better. No, the light is not good. the image is terribly underexposed. Playing around with the exposure and Mr. Fill Light helps. Should I back off the red saturation or other areas?

ebi
    Participant

taking magenta out might help more than taking red out. when you take red out you are essentially adding green. saturation is going to go pink to grey and it’s probably not going to look all that great. taking magenta out means you’ll go more green. I would suggest skipping this one as a select and move on to something that is lit better.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

_EFP0074qar

Here you go.

I thought mine was still quite red until I opened it next to yours!  The lighting is not great and the hot spot on her cheek was a bitch to correct. The first shot is straight out of Lightroom. But I still prefer to do most of the work in Photoshop. The shadows on her face frame the hot spot nicely, making any retouch work stand out like a sore thumb, so I blended them in a bit. I’m still not happy with the result. It took about 20 mins all in.

But we were trying to see if your monitors are out, so if the skin now looks green or blue to you, you might like to twiddle some of the knobs on the monitor.

I would say her skin tone is still not perfect and with more work I’d try to get her face the same colour as her arms. They look a really nice skin tone. (on my system).

ebi
    Participant

taking magenta out might help more than taking red out. when you take red out you are essentially adding green.

sorry meant to say that when you take red out you are adding cyan.

Red -> Cyan
    Green -> Magenta
    Blue -> Yellow

CPowers
    Participant

I’ve been out the last few days. My mom’s in the hospital with cancer complications. I’ve been tinkering with a complete revamp of the website and how it flows to the facebook page. Will be culling through all that portfiolio garbage you guys suggested to cut and reprocessing whats left. of the next week or so as time allows. Thanks for your input folks!

Cody

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.