Home Forums Photography Showcase Bre Johnson Photography

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Intuition
    Participant

“I have one of them that is a straight on shot as well. I personally like the tilt on this one, but everyone is different with what they like.”

With this it’s not really about not liking it. I actually like the framing, composition, and lighting of the photo. What your tilt did was make it seem like a mistake. It doesn’t feel deliberate it feels like what I go through, an inability to keep my camera level Haha. I think you’d be hard pressed to find a portrait photographer of recognition that would do a tilt like that in your picture. Key word Portrait photographer here. Conceptual, art, even editorial are different ballgames entirely.Portrait work is really more of a commercial business with less liberties.

I’m not really trying to harp on it, and if you can give me a legit reason why you feel this image is BETTER tilted, I’ll tip my hat to you and walk away. That is my point. I want you to have REASONS to break the rules that are based in Art theory/composition. These are the questions you get asked in a formal education, and the critical edge I think a lot of self taughts are missing.

BreJPhoto
    Participant

Yeah, I pretty much do all of my editing in lightroom. I’ve been usuing photoshop for around ten years, great program, but I mostly use it for graphic design and beauty edits.
    The tilt is intended, like I said, I have another photo almost the same that is straight on.
    Yeah, I adore the 24-70, however on my camera it is pretty cropped. I’m looking to get some lens upgrades with my tax return.

BreJPhoto
    Participant

No, I totally understand what you are saying, but I do consider myself a portrait photographer, yes I do other things as well, but portraits are my main thing and have been doing them for awhile now.
    Thank you for the input. As far as recent assignments, for every tilt I do a straight on as well.
    I was self taught at first, but I do have an associates degree in photography.

fstopper89
    Participant

I wish I had an associates in photography… not that it would necessarily give me more knowledge than the four-year degree programs I was in where I took photography/graphics/computer/business courses, but that I would have a piece of paper to SHOW for my hard work. Saying “I went to college for three years and have almost 90 credits” is kind of nothing compared to “I have a degree.” Lol. At least when listing credentials for a job or for someone who wants to see you have credentials.

I agree with Intuition that the self-taught photogs typically do lack a lot of knowledge of art theory, as evident in their work. I’m thankful for my art background. That’s why they say “make” a photo, don’t “take” it. It’s another medium of art like painting or drawing, the tools are just a lot more varied and complicated.

Sharra
    Participant

I don’t have the 5D III but I’m thinking of getting one with an adapter for my Nikon lenses (see my list in Let’s Talk Photography -> What’s in your camera bag). Waste of money?

As for a couple other comments here – nothing to do with photography, just nit-picky grammar stuff – sorry if you’re offended or you feel I’m talking down to you…

CC: “Is “These shots only start at $100.” the same as “These shots start at only $100.”? Definitely! Modifiers like “only” affect the word immediately following them, so “only start” is like “I only eat oranges” meaning I am capable of just eating and nothing else like sleeping, walking, etc., rather than ” I eat only oranges” where I will eat nothing else BUT oranges. A Phrase like “…start at only $100” emphasizes the price, which is the word(s) FOLLOWING the modifier ONLY.

Bre: “As far as the likes thing, I personally think it’s a fun way to keep up with people and there work.” Obviously, you meant “their”. This is by far the word pair that I see misused the most. Sadly, I’ve seen it happen on occasion by literary professionals as well.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Sharra:  Yes, waste of money.  If you have a collection of good Nikon FX lenses, you would be better off upgrading to the latest Nikon body than purchasing a Canon body and lens adapter.  If you really want the Canon body, budget for some Canon glass or third party glass with Canon mounts, you will have a better experience than trying to adapt a Nikon mount lens to a Canon body.

From your explanation of grammar, I think you get what I was saying, it seems to have blown by the rest.  From an advertising perspective:

“These shots only start at $100.” suggests $100 is the very low end of the spectrum and the price rises dramatically for most shots or as extras are added on.

“These shots start at only $100.” suggests $100 that while some shots are more than $100, the $100 price is quite reasonable.

Grammar is important, exactly the same words, different order, different perception of meaning.

Sometimes I think the spelling checker helps us use the wrong word.  “There”, “their” and “they’re” ; “your” and “you’re”; and “then” and “than”, are all seen to be interchanged quite often.  It will probably only get worse as the current generation “texts”.

Sharra
    Participant

CC: Thanks for your input. I started out with the original Rebel 9 years ago, but I got a good deal on a used Nikon D300 in 2008 and haven’t looked back. I have far too much invested in Nikon FX lenses now to consider going to Canon. I just got a phenomenal deal on a 24mm 1.4 G that I’ll sell my slow 80-400 4.5-5.6 to help pay for so now with the exception of the 18-200 3.5-5.6 on my D300, I have nothing less than f/4. I just heard great things about the 5D III and how pros are buying adapters for one of the greatest lenses there is (the  Nikon 14-24 2.8 G) to mount on their Canon pro bodies. I guess I won’t fall for the hype and save my pennies for the D4 or whatever comes out next. Oh, wait, there won’t be any pennies left in Canada soon. 🙂

Yes, I’m a grammar freak. I just didn’t anyone to take it the wrong way. “You’re” and “your” are already “ur”. Cursive writing is already going the way of the dinosaur in favour of teaching keyboarding skills.

cameraclicker
    Participant

You are welcome.

Indeed, soon there will be no pennies.  T&T, a local supermarket and Shoppers Drug Mart are advertising they will round up.  $0.01 to $0.04 will be treated as $0.05 and $0.06 to $0.09 will be treated as $0.10.  The only recourse I can see is to pay for a stick of gum with a credit card at either of those stores.

How does this happen?  ‘“These shots start at only $100.” suggests $100 that while some shots are more than $100, the $100 price is quite reasonable.’ should have read ‘“These shots start at only $100.” suggests that while some shots are more than $100, the $100 price is quite reasonable.’

Sarah
    Participant

I had problems loading the photos on your website. Browsing it was fine until I got to the gallerys. So I went to your FB page and noticed a lot of your images are a bit to red. It also seems like you don’t have a great lens for low light situations because a lot of them are under exposed. I see that you do know what to capture at a wedding though. Like others have said you may want to not tilt your camera so much (if you do I think you should also take a straight photo because you may regret it later or the client may not like it).

fstopper89
    Participant

Kudos to the other grammar freaks such as myself… finally, more people who actually know this stuff! It irritates me to no end to see supposed “professional” pages and websites using all the wrong forms of words and incorrect sentence structure! It screams “unprofessional” to me. Not everyone is great with grammar (though I have no way of understanding why, as it always made perfect sense to me…) at least get a friend or family member to proofread important things before posting them.

BreJPhoto
    Participant

So I just logged on today after awhile, thanks for the input guys and gals.
    And I didn’t have a great lens for low light, most where shot with an 18-200mm, I just picked up a Sigma 24-70 2.8mm though! Only $800 compared to the $2000 for the Canon. I am really liking it so far.
    I also traded my 50mm 1.8 for the 1.4.

I just went to my webpage, and it looks like it is running fine. So hopefully that was just a glitch that occurred?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.