Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Brace For Impact

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    missewitcher
    Participant

I am in no means a professional, but I would like to EVENTUALLY become one.
    Sidenote: I currently only have a Canon Powershot SX50 HS. My goal is to learn a bit more before I purchase the Canon DSLR that I want.

Harsh critiques, etc, all welcome.
    I wish to improve.

http://missewitcher.deviantart.com/gallery/50270489/Photography

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

not sure what I’m looking at here… colored sand? Makeup powder? Also, I don’t see the ‘spirit’ of the photos, other than a showcase of different colors of ….. stuff.

As for the 2 portraits, the man has a haze over the whole shot, as though the lens was slightly fogged over with salty ocean breeze.

The young woman has flat lighting.

Keep shooting!! 🙂

missewitcher
    Participant

Its Cosmetics. Product placement for the most part for something I did awhile back. Thank you for your input.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

that makes sense, then!  🙂

Yes, some more flattering lighting for the young lady and less haze on the young man, and you’re on your way.

READ YOUR CAMERA MANUAL!! Oodles of good info there about photography. You’ll be surprised what you’ll learn!

cameraclicker
    Participant

Ferrari feels cropped too tight.  If the car parked beside it was in good condition, including part of it might have been better.

Horizon is crooked in your male portrait.  Girl’s face is slightly washed out.  Focus seems to be on her sleeve instead of her eyes.  Shadows give a photo some depth.  Her pose looks a little like she is pulling her head back to get a better view of you.  The bright spot just beyond her hand should go.

Better light may help the cosmetics.  For shots like that colour accuracy is critical.  There are tools just for ensuring the camera’s colour matches the product’s colour.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Let’s take a look at those cosmetics as they are actually quite a good test subject, I’m guessing they were all taken on the same white background. But look how many colours of background you’ve managed to record, you’ve also managed to burn out some of the highlights.

If you’d used the same lighting and exposure on all of them you would have got a much better colour match.

Charliej
    Participant

As for the comments referring to the “haze” on the gentleman at the beach::::: If you edited them to look that way you created a vintage film fade effect. That haziness in photography if done intentionally is called fade. It does not make the image incorrect, it is a style choice. If you are going to comment at least get it right.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

From now on I abdicate to Charliej’s greater authority concerning comments on this board.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.