Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Attitudes and Behavior on Social Media

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    dont.care
    Participant

Like I said earlier, sign up for CPS (canon pro services) and get equipment evaluation loaners.. They let you test shit twice before you buy it and can be up to two weeks. $100.00/year gets you the ‘gold’ membership.

iliketag
    Participant

Would you say that’s better than going the route of just renting equipment? I’ve used BorrowLenses for several lens rentals in the past and it’s always been good.

dont.care
    Participant

100 a year versus how ever much it cost to rent per day.. I have CPS Platinum for the 60% discount on equipment repairs and all the other perks..

cost 500 a year, but imagine how much a sensor will cost you or how much a shutter will cost to replace if not under warranty.. I sent a 5d II in once for something totally unrelated and ended up with a brand new sensor because of a few micro scratches that didn’t effect IQ at all.

is it worth it? To me it is..

http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/about_cps/about.shtml

JCFindley
    Participant

Yeah, the MKIII is better than the 6, but at  price difference that could buy some decent L glass there just isn’t enough there for my shooting purposes.

The wifi, or more importantly, the ability to control everything from my Android, is a nice touch. If I read it right, that includes touch screen focus point ability. (I could have read that wrong.) Though, for 50 bucks there are programs that do the same thing through a dongle… https://triggertrap.com/products/triggertrap-mobile/

Still, on a cost benefit basis, not sure if the 5D is just fine as it is. The high ISO functionality would be helpful with images like the one linked here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93110543@N06/

On a side note, I suppose one needs to be careful on how you set up Flickr if you use it as it will display, and I assume allow screen capture the full res image. This one didn’t make my cut anyway, but does work for a good noise example

dont.care
    Participant

tbh, i think you’d be just as well to buy a 5d II

JCFindley
    Participant

And that is really what the choice is between, the 6 and the MKII but was curious why the III was so much more.

But I’ve never had a brand new body with that “new body” smell. I am pretty sure if I just got a “really good” camera then I could start doing weddings because that is all it takes. I know that is why my art sales work, cause that is what people say all the time at art shows.  “Wow, you must have a really nice camera.” Yupp, even my wife’s cousin said that just last week.

dont.care
    Participant

You being a F.A.P., You’d probably be better off with the 6D (built in GPS & WiFi). With new cell phones that have built in routers to act as APs on 4G networks, you could shoot raw/Jpeg S-fine and instantaneously update whatever social media you use (I would assume).  Not to mention the jump in megapixels and the ISO-sensitivity..  Honestly, (if I were you and not wanting to spend the extra $) I’d go with the 6D.. With my 5D III’s I have the _OPTION_ of using a WFT and a GPS (as addons).. Those addons are built into the 6D, whereas the 5d3 they cost close to 700 for the wft and the gps is 2 to 3 hundred.. I played with one (6D) @ a camera shop, I didn’t like the feel of it. There again, I’m used to big heavy DSLRs made of magnesium with battery grips and the 1 series..

nesgran
    Participant

Both the 6D and 5DIII are weather sealed to the same standard which is at the level one of their last 1 series 35mm cameras was. The 5DII on the other hand has minimal weather sealing.

JC, for the shot you are posting it would make more sense I think for you to go with a 6D and spend the extra money on a nice new lens. Maybe save up for one of those 15mm zeiss lenses, now that is a lens exuding quality or a canon 24mm TS-E lens. Both would make sense with the shots you are taking

JCFindley
    Participant

Weather sealing is a biggie for me as well, as is the ability to exposure bracket five v three shots. (would be nice to do more if needed like the one series.) But that can also be done via trigger trap even on a lowly 5D classic.

mmmmmmm Zeiss glass…. (Way above my budget for what would pay for itself in two years but I can dream)

fotopoopie
    Participant

Social media is a bad place to talk shit about anyone or anything.  You NEVER know when it will come back to haunt you. Save it for the forums like I do 😉

FTW!

~Poopie

fotopoopie
    Participant

By the way I learned more from using a 50 and 85 mm prime then the cheap O kit.   Bottom line get a body and the fastest prime you can afford.  Take some pictures and work for it! The first 10,000 pictures you will take will be your worst anyway, everyone has to start somewhere!

Shoot away!

FTW!

~Poopie

Sarah
    Participant

I think a lot of people feel like they can say whatever they want on the internet (especially forums). Most of the time these people probably would not say what they say to your face and hide behind their computer screen. Stupidly some people do this with their name or even worse business name attached to the account and it can hurt you really bad. On the other hand people that know you or even your clients can leave a bad review on the internet making you look bad. Social media and the internet in general can be bad but its all about how you handle it.

TimothyFaust
    Participant

iliketag,

I have no idea who Shelby is, but 99% of the time I am extremely helpful.
    When it comes to critiques, I can be pretty honest, but I feel like honest critique has made me a much better photographer.

The only time when I get rude is when I see questions in forums like, “I just got a Canon Rebel for my birthday.  What should I name my wedding photography business?”

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.