Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Attitudes and Behavior on Social Media

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    nesgran
    Participant

I wouldn’t mind a 1200 5.6, though I would  need a new tripod head 🙂

As for upgrading to a 5DIII, the 5DII is generally considered ever so slightly sharper not to mention far cheaper 🙂

dont.care
    Participant

The only reason(s) I upgraded was the ISO performance and AF.  I don’t mean to say, ‘ONLY’.. Those are quite substantial upgrades.. The AF system alone in the 5d3 is a magical wonder. I’ve definitely noticed an increase of keepers, especially in AI servo mode. So much faster. Not to mention the flawless interoperability between the 5d3 and 1dx  (2012+ era cameras) on the 600 EX RT flash system.. The high ISO low noise is brilliant. Low light is absolutely not a concern now. Whereas my 5d II, I’d get nervous having to shoot @ 3,200, now I can pump it up way beyond that and not really have to fear severe IQ degradation..

I’m pretty enamoured with them at this point.. Although like all things, they’ll be replaced too.. Something else shall be released and they will go on the selling block. 😀

my $0.02

dont.care
    Participant

As far as the 1200 5.6, I’d rather just get the 800 with a 2x extender.. You’ll save 90 grand, and gain 400mm, or on a 1.6 crop body and achieve 2560mm equivalent.. Now, I know you can come back and say, ‘”Hey, well, I can take the 1200 and a 2x and achieve 2400; 3840mm on a crop.” I rebut that with, you’re still spending close to $100,000..

iliketag
    Participant

I hadn’t heard too much about the 5DIII’s noise sensitivity in high ISO’s. If that’s the case, I’ll be saving for one of those bad boys and have the 5DII as my backup body. I’ve been really interested in the 600 EX RT and it’s integrated wireless capability. That alone would be worth spending the extra on the 600 to be able to pass on a transmitter.

iliketag
    Participant

Can I honestly ask what anyone would use a 1200mm lens for on a regular basis? I’m curious.

fstopper89
    Participant

Taking pictures of the moon? lol.

I can’t wait to afford a 5DIII someday. The 5DII is great, but I would love the increase in AF points and the better low-light performance. The 5DII handles high ISO wonderfully though. I have shot 2000-2500 and it’s still decent (though I usually remove the noise in Lightroom). On my Rebel it’s barely usable beyond ISO 400.

iliketag
    Participant

Yeah, my T3i was also pretty grainy at 800+. I love that little guy though. I’ve heard a lot of photographers still find themselves using the focus-recompose on the 5DIII though. Which makes me very content with my MkII. But a girl can dream, right?

dont.care
    Participant

How well the 5d3 manages noise at high iso is one of the major selling points of the 5d3, how you haven’t heard or read reviews on that yet, I don’t know. As far as ‘recomposing shots’, goes.. I have to recompose with my 1dx which is after taxes more than 7 thousand dollars.  If you spend all day switching AF points (where there’s 61 of them), you’ll be wasting a lot of time.

p22

dont.care
    Participant

You guys need to sign up for CPS gold or platinum and get equipment loans to try shit out for a week or two before you buy it!

http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/about_cps/about.shtml <- if you guys have enough equipment to get enough ‘points’, you can qualify for certain levels.. Unfortunately, if you don’t have enough to make gold, the equipment loan program is out of the question :[.

dont.care
    Participant

cameraclicker
    Participant

A couple of quick photos, taken with a 5D Mk III just before 9:00 p.m., at ISO 12,800, converted with the defaults in ACR and without adding noise reduction.

2013-06-04_20-52-54_322C1255_

100% crop:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/54048679@N07/8953618825/in/photostream/

2013-06-04_20-52-44_322C1245_

100% crop: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54048679@N07/8954813252/in/photostream/

Certainly not noise free, but still not bad for that ISO setting.

dont.care
    Participant

es ist ein wunderbar kamera.. Lol. 12,800 is essentially equivalent to 3,200 on a 5D2

iliketag
    Participant

Holy crumpets.

ps: you guys hijacked my thread :p

nesgran
    Participant

Didn’t you know everyone needs a 1200mm lens? A pet project of mine is to photograph a snow leopard in the wild and I know just the spot for it. There’s a remote valley in Kyrgyzstan on the border to China with a largeish lime stone formation with a cave in it. Outside the cave there’s been large cat prints, piles of excrement and piles and piles of bones from large herbivores both years me or friends have gone past it. Up in the mountains there are no other large cats as far as we know so it has to have been a snow leopard and since they are notoriously shy 1200mm is probably bare minimum, a 1.4x extender would be useful so AF can still be retained at least on centre point

dont.care
    Participant

LOL ^ O_o

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.