Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Anyone using Amazon Local services?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

You all know my story.

Having used all your suggestions with the BBS / blogs / hospital website and seeing a positive response was a welcome surprise. You all have helped immensely, to be sure.

A friend of mine with a service business recommended doing Amazon Local also (he said to stay away from Groupon since they tailor to a much younger audience in our area).

A search on the web yielded 2 kinds of polar opposite opinions, either “it bankrupted me” or “my business is successful thanks to them.”

What’s your take? Anyone use it AND retain customers? Or did the customers just wait for the next coupon and never pay full price again? My friend’s take is that it got her business name out there to many people who would not have found her otherwise because all of the “internet noise.”

cameraclicker
    Participant

We have used Groupon a few times, and have seen a couple of local photographers that have offered service via Groupon.

The photographers were offering hundreds of portrait shoots for CDN$75, each.   Heck of a deal if they are any good.  I’m not offering it.

A couple of the Groupon offerings we tried, we would not have tried without Groupon and after trying them we would not repeat the experience without the discount.  In other cases, we would have used the supplier anyway but were happy to take advantage of the discount.

This is the first I have heard of Amazon Local, but I live in Canada.  Someone thinks it will be a while before we see much activity here:  http://www.canadiandealsassociation.com/are-the-large-deal-providers-coming-to-canada/

As a doctor who is doing photography as a side activity with a very specific target customer, I don’t think mass marketing will help you much.  If you did a coupon exercise and got 50 customers, how would you deal with that?  And, how would it affect your medical practice, or marriage?

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

As usual, you’re right CC…

Assuming I DID garner many more clients as a result, what in world would I do with them, truly?! I’m not giving up my day job in exchange for photography and because I’ve cut back so many clinical hours to spend quality time with the family, the only thing I’d be telling these new folks is “I’ll get back to you.”

This is a case of entrepreneurs always wanting more. I am thankful for what I have and the people I’m able to help. Let that be enough.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.