Home Forums Photography Showcase An edit I did

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dstone81
    Participant

This is an edit I did on a picture I took of hubby’s grandfather (I downloaded a free trial of paint shop pro x5 and was expiermenting with it.). He was sitting thinking about his son who had just passed away 2 days before. How did I do on the edit… Good, bad or could be better?

Family 149

kbee
    Participant

I really like this shot as it is displayed here. To me it’s quite emotional, even before I read your paragraph about the passing of his son. I still keep looking back and wondering what exactly he was thinking at this moment. It’s a private moment you caught and I feel that.

You converted it to black and white well; it’s not faded or wishy washy. His head is perhaps a little blown out on the left side of his crown, and the hanky in his pocket, but it’s not that bad. I really do like the contrast.

Looking at the larger version, though, I can see it’s still a bit blurry, which is a shame. And I’m a shallow depth of field fanatic, so I’d probably have shot at a wider aperture for a softer background to help really set him apart from the others.

Good job. Perhaps one of my favorites of yours so far.

dont.care
    Participant

too busy for me.. i would have made a mask and dropped a new bg

Brownie
    Participant

The most important part of the image, his face, is not in focus. Seems like the focus here is soft and softer. I think it’s a little contrasty… The background doesn’t add any interest to the picture so I would’ve avoided that. I realize this is a candid and you can’t exactly do it over but, I like the subject. So there’s potential here.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Condolences.

It does seem the chair fabric might be in better focus than your grandfather-in-law.  The background adds to the story of isolated in thought while the world is milling around in the background.  It depends what you wanted to show/say.

Without the before frame it is difficult to assess editing.  If there is more background, I would include it.  The conversion to B&W looks OK

dstone81
    Participant

The only thing I did to this pic was adjusted the brightness and contrast on it. This was taken back in June before I really started getting into the nitty gritty of learning my photography. Here is the original.
    Family 149

dstone81
    Participant

If ya’ll hadn’t noticed I have a thing for B&W.

But I do see what ya’ll are saying about the focus. It is soft on his face. Not what I was aiming for. What I was aiming for is what a pp said about him being deep in thought thinking about his son while the world went on around him. I think what I should have done was zoomed out just a bit, focused on him more and blurred the background a bit…Or no?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.