Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Am I getting better?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    reactiveload
    Participant

Still working hard trying to get better, am I making progress?

http://www.facebook.com/AGloverphoto

reality check
    Participant

Ahh! Another semi pro, I see.

ok, I’m going to forgo the lecture about not being in business until you have had time to learn and become a photographer.  You obviously already know this, and chose to continue on anyway.

right now I see very little difference in your recent shots compared to earlier shots unfortunately.  I DID notice that you include multiple edits for a single pose, and multiple shots for a single pose.  One pose, should be represented once.  You have albums with 10 to 20 shots in them, that really only contain 5 different poses.  Still not using light to your advantage, still not paying attention to backgrounds, or details.  Still cutting off at the joints, and not cropping properly, still having white balance and exposure problems, still not understanding basic composition, still making snap shots.  The editing has gotten worse instead of better. Your black and white conversions aren’t going very well , and the editing in general is all over the place.

advice?  Lay off the editing until you get your basic camera work down.  Learn proper comp, learn direction and posing, then move on to lighting.  You have a long way to go before you start shooting for others, “affordable” or not.

and hey!  I personally think photogs in this genre, that shoot for hire should make more than someone working for minimum wage at some fast food chain. Lots of time, money, and very  hard work go into being in the photography profession.  If this means portraiture and event photography is a luxury, than so be it.  If you’re going to go ahead and be in business, and charge for your services, at least have the decently to charge appropriately  and/or not make legit togs that actually put the time, money, and effort into being for hire and need to make a living, look bad with the words you use in your bio to promote yourself.  Sorry for being so harsh, but reading your “about” just completely rubbed me the wrong way, and put a bitter taste in my mouth, and I see it happening way too often to let it go uncorrected.  Couple that with the learn as go pro mentality, and offering mediocrity for money..ugh… I’m done

ArizonaGuy
    Participant

^This.

reactiveload
    Participant

I appreciate the feedback, I don’t care about it being harsh.  I shoot low ranking military families who have to make every dime count, so for them photos that aren’t from a camera phone are a luxury.  Out of curiosity do you have some links to your work so I can get an idea of where my pictures are failing?

cameraclicker
    Participant

Have a peek at these: A or B

They are one of your photos.  Which do you like better?  Why?

cameraclicker
    Participant

I don’t have a clue if you are getting better, the Facebook page I see started December 5?  A whole week ago?

Anyway, here is another A or B choice.  Which do you like better?  Why?

I have two suggestions that might improve your photography almost immediately:

Get a lens hood and use it.

Try to position your subjects in open shade, and think about using a flash at part power.

reality check
    Participant

I am low ranking military, and im having a hard time not taking offense to what you just said.  It read like this to me “I shoot for low raking military, and not only do they know no better, but they dont give a crap.  They are happy with anything anyone does for them cheaply”

I would not hire you.  I’d ask you about your camera and save up for it if I wanted better pictures than a cell phone can produce, or ask you if I could borrow yours.  If I wanted professional quality photographs, I would hire a pro.  This would prove to be very difficult because people like you make things about as clear as mud.  As it stands, you are just a girl with a nice camera.  That’s totally obtainable  for anyone near a NEX or the like.  In fact how many people in your area have done just that?  I know my neighborhood is chuck full.

if your goal was/is to produce a product better than a cell phone can produce, congratulations!  You are there!  Right along with thousands of others.  I wish you luck, and lots of clients. Some shoot to convey, with the sole purpose of becoming the best photographer they can be.  Others shoot for money.  If the latter, I expect them to produce higher quality photographs than I or my aunt Nelly can produce, and if they dont, they are a fauxtog.  Learn to embrace it for what it is.  You have plenty of company, and no one is stopping you.  Keep going, and just leave the whole “I need to be excepted  by my peers” thing alone, because that wont happen for you as long as you continue to feel the way you do about this.  Go ahead and be an owner of a shoddy business, hand people a subpar product and tell them its amazing.  Have fun while it lasts, and enjoy the ride until you move on to something else.

my work is irrelevant.  I am not a pro, and don’t have the expertise or skills to become one.  I’ll leave that up to all the pros and semi pros out there.  But I do have eyes and can see a difference between a quality photograph, and what you are producing.  I am also self aware, and I understand that there is no way a person can obtain an expertise in anything, without putting time effort and training into it first.  You do realize that it takes years to accomplish what you are setting out to do, and not weeks or months?

reality check
    Participant

All of these photographers cater to military families, and ofer pre deployment shoots, family photo shoots, newborn shoots, and boudoir while a spouse or loved one is away serving, and homecoming sessions.  Some discount heavily, and most give their time.  All of them are legit photography businesses, and have invested in themselves and their photography before going into business.  They are not all that and a bag of chips, or anything over the top fantastic, just togs making a living with their photography.  All of them have been operating profitably for at least 3 years.  This is the level of quality that not only our military deserve, but also anyone who hires a professional, or semi professional to make photographs for them.  This is just a hand ful, after a quick Internet search.  Whether someone pays $10 or $10,000, they deserve the product they are paying for.  A well composed, properly exposed,  properly lit, flattering photograph of themselves or their loved ones.

http://www.mirandacorbellphotography.com/

http://www.clickingthroughlife.com/

http://powellwoulfe.com/

http://kristensphoto.com/

http://baileylanephotography.com/

creyes8519
    Participant

You need to work on your colors, exposure, post-processing, and getting things in focus.  Also, stop putting the same picture in black & white and in color…. that annoys me for some reason.  Too much vignetting, you’ve got oompa loompas in some of your shots.  Otherwise, you capture some real cute moments.  I love this one:  https://www.facebook.com/Agloverphoto#!/photo.php?fbid=210083739127915&set=a.210083472461275.54790.210082129128076&type=3&theater

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.