Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Am I doing the right thing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mrping
    Participant

Hi All

I have to say, I’ve never been this scared posting something on the internet before.

I had an interest in photography since an early age, but only got more serious with it over the last 12 months.  I got a basic Canon T2i, kit lens, a Sigma 10-20, and a nifty fifty.  I thought this would give me enough range to play with it and figure out if I actually got what it takes to take it any further.

I’ve put a selection of photos on the site to show a bit of variety.  None of the work there is paid, I’ve done it as practice, and the portraits are all of friends I gathered for a portrait session to test myself.

Now, I get the usual praise from Facebook, but that is not professionals, and would love to get a professional set of eyes on my work and give me the truth.  Should I stay with it?

I’ve been asked to do friends weddings several times but I have refused, I would like to eventually but I don’t think I am ready.  I’ve done 2 paid jobs so far, they have only been event photography at Christmas parties and jobs like that which don’t require much creativity.

Here is my site.

http://erelis.com.au

Thanks for your feedback.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Enjoyed the photos.  Not as taken with the web page.  It took a while to load the gallery, then it displayed some photos partly obscured by the banner!  Not fond of the canvas look effect on the home view.

Constructive criticism:  a couple of the studio looking photos would be better if you had the model further from the backdrop/wall, and had an additional light to provide catch lights.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

a couple of the studio looking photos would be better if

There are  studio pics? I tried the gallery page but nothing happened. All I saw was some landscapes that had a dreadful wire fence effect over them. THe pics looked okay but the site is useless,just load them onto Flickr.

mrping
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the site, it is a WIP and I’ve been trying to find a way to make the gallery load more quickly, as you can tell, I have not yet succeeded, and I also have the banner issue which cameraclicker mentioned.

I do have the same photos on my flickr, I guess I should have put this in the original post as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erelis/

cameraclicker
    Participant

Flickr is definitely better!  Photos load a lot faster!  Also, it is easier to address a specific photo, like this one:

Self Portrait

I like this a lot.  I think I would like it even more if your left eye had a bigger catch light and there were a rim light to separate you from the background.

cameraclicker
    Participant

In this one
    Lachlan 2
    it would be better if he were several feet, 3 or 4 at least, from the background, which would remove the shadow. For this sort of photo, you might have the model put a high shoulder toward the camera slightly, and tilt the head away a little. It would make a more dynamic photo if the shoulders were tipped and a line through the head were perpendicular to the line between shoulders.

mrping
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

Any ideas on how to keep progressing?, I have gotten to a point where I feel like I am not as happy with my results at the moment, like I am stuck.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Visit art galleries?

Join a club?

Read books?

Practice.

mrping
    Participant

I am watching tutorials, reading articles.  Going to galleries is something I have not done, that could be fun.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.