Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum 15 yrs in the photo biz …

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rpg Valentine
    Participant

hard to believe that people actually pay for this kind of crap, and they like it . This person claims to be in the photo biz for 15 yrs

https://www.facebook.com/MinervasPhotography

Bill
    Participant

WOW!

Not sure about the 15 years in the biz part, but maybe. If they spent as much time perfecting their craft instead of wasting money on those gimmicky backdrops and feature packs, they might be a little better, maybe.

emf
    Participant
    Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Dare I suggest that it maybe a cultural thing? I did some prints last year for a member of an ethnic minority (in the UK). They were her wedding pictures and she AND her groom had been photoshopped to death, and then their plastic corpses had been run through every auto skin smoother you could imagine. In some of them, they didn’t seem to have any facial features. I tried to tactfully gauge her opinion of them, but it was obvious that SHE LOVED THEM!

cameraclicker
    Participant

Dare I suggest that it maybe a cultural thing?

Dare away!  I doubt it is cultural though.  It seems to cut across cultures.  And, it varies dramatically within a single generation of a single family.  My wife,  her parents, and youngest sister have definite ideas about what they want a photo to look like.  A couple of my wife’s sisters really don’t care about the quality at all.  They will happily download family photos I have posted on Flickr at 800 px wide, and will have them printed at Walmart!  The photos look horrible, and they already know that if they ask me, I will print them using my printer and the original files, for free!  Any image will do and they don’t want to bother me.  Seeing the quality of their prints drives me crazy though.

IHF
    Participant

Here’s what I see.
    I see a basic understanding of light, exposure, and all the more technical aspects. I see consistency. Yes, the effects are atrocious, and some just outright funny, but to me that’s all a matter of taste. Not my taste, but I see nothing to contradict the 15 years in business or a decent knowledge of photography. A fauxtographer would not be able to achieve pictures like this, but only think their pictures were better because they didn’t add cheesy effects and embellishments.
    I do believe it IS a cultural thing, (this would sell like hot cakes where I live) and her/his clients are more than thrilled. And I also think this photographer, if their demographics were to change, and they saw the need to change their “style” to more subdued, they’d be able to do so effectively.  God awful stuff.  I don’t think I’ll ever be the same after looking.  Thanks for sharing it

nesgran
    Participant

Truly stunningly bad but if it is what the customer wants…

They are well shots base photos, reasonably well photoshopped but in a truly awful style. If I was a wedding/portrait photographer in Bradford with that style I’d be rich though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.