Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page… Reply To: Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page…

fstopper89

By the way, here are the examples of my friend’s engagement photos. The first one is the hired photog, the second is my re-edit. They were jpg images and most weren’t in great focus. I really liked the first image, but wasn’t so crazy about the second. The password is “test123” http://roxie1303.smugmug.com/CLIENTLOGIN/Test/28127991_ZgzvXm#!i=2377191981&k=5MknX8Q

My input:

The shallow DOF of the first one by the tree works really well. It was shot at f/2.8, 155mm. The couple was way underexposed, and there were funky green casts on their skin. I edited it to give true representation of their skin tones, remove some blemishes, and bring up the exposure mostly on the right side.

The second image was shot at f/8.0 and 28mm. I did not like the angle this was shot at, nor the long depth of field. It just doesn’t work for this image. The background is a bit distracting, especially with the horizon at such an angle. I straightened it a little but didn’t have much room to work with. There were harsh shadows and shiny spots on his face. I tried to minimize these. I know I didn’t achieve the best look on the skin, but these images were shot in bright, direct sunlight. This particular area is the same place I shot some engagement photos at (I didn’t even realize that at the time I did it!) but there are a lot of shaded areas available there.

Most of the other photos I would have considered unusable due to extreme dark shadows on their faces. There were horses behind one of the fences and the bride-to-be wanted them in the background. They did get a couple of photos with them, but in the one she liked the best, there was a huge pile of horse &*$% right behind them and super noticeable! She used that photo for her save-the-dates! She did a botched attempt at cloning it out, but in the end I convinced her to put the text over that area because it just was no good. She really wanted that particular photo for the save-the-dates.