Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Thinking of trying out the Jake Olson Business model, Not!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bill
    Participant

With all the press and social media talk about Jake Oslon, I was thinking that I should try to change my business model.

For those who don’t know the so-called famous photographer from Nebraska Jake Olson of Jake Olson Studios, he has been called out for really being a, well a real jerk, to put it nicely. People have been digging into past Facebook posts and other social media threads showing that Jake Olson is not the nice guy that he seems to be, but really a sort of full functioning psychopath that takes good photos.
    Now some would say that his photos are just a “one trick pony”, he does use a very similar, if not the same dirt road as the backdrop for many of his sunset portrait photos. Others would say that his photos are over processed and over saturated, but I really think that they are pretty good, to be honest. A little repetitive, but good.

Anyway, he has also been called out for bashing clients behind their backs and really going on tyrants on clients that don’t see eye-to-eye with his creative expression.
    But how is this guy able to be so marketable? Is it a fluke or is he a marketing genius or just lucky with dumb luck?

Some have pointed out that his braggins of his wealth are very overrated and exaggerated, but he is quick to make sure that you know how much he made last year and how much corporate commitments are lined up for the next year. This is a narcist to the extreme, but yet people flock to him for his photos as id he were the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Just curious, of the other photographers out there. Are you a narcissist? Do you belittle your clients? Are you just so good at your craft that everyone else’s work look like kindergarten crayon work?
    How does this business model work for you, I am curios.

cameraclicker
    Participant

I didn’t recognize the name. Looking him up, I realized I have “liked” a number of his photos on 500px: https://500px.com/jakeolsonstudios. 500px has a large thumbnails page format so you can see a lot of images at once. There is a definite consistency to his photos, and a similarity to others who post at 500px, like https://500px.com/liliaalvarado. Though, Jake’s photos have somewhat more even photography and post processing. Also, if I had a road like that near me, I would probably use it a lot too! His bio says he is published by a number of magazines including National Geographic. That speaks to quality photography.

I still have no understanding of Jake’s character. He could be a really nice guy, a jerk, or worse, … I have no idea and can’t comment on that.

Just curious, of the other photographers out there. Are you a narcissist? Do you belittle your clients? Are you just so good at your craft that everyone else’s work look like kindergarten crayon work?
    How does this business model work for you, I am curios.

Let’s talk politics for a moment. I’m in Toronto, Canada. We had a mayor that everyone heard about. He worked hard to return constituent’s calls, but he was very conservative and always went on about how well he was doing his job and how much money he was saving us. Then we had an ice storm and the money he saved us by not trimming trees came back to bite us because power lines went down all over and people were without electricity in the middle of a cold winter, for a week or more! At the next election there was a lot of strategic voting to ensure we got a new mayor because the electoral system is first past the post and this guy’s support was still running at around 30%! We also just changed federal parties for much the same reason and again there was a lot of strategic voting to ensure the Conservatives did not form another government. Now the amazing part: We get to watch the US Presidential Election process. Trump seems to be doing pretty well. Based on what we have seen so far, he would be worse than either of the guys we threw out of office! He calls people names. He insults. He has no actual policies. He just keeps repeating he is going to make America great again, and America is going to win so much people will get tired of winning! If he gets elected there will be a major train wreck, but he sure seems to be doing well at the moment. That business model seems to work for Trump.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.