Home Forums Photography Showcase Request for honest feedback

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ian

I am a beginner when it comes to photography so I would appreciate any and all feedback. Am I faux or on the right track!

Ian
    cameraclicker
    Participant

Ian, I have no idea how this:

https://www.eyeem.com/p/72461043

got 7 hearts!  With any luck, this is a link to lots of spider photos:

https://500px.com/search?q=spider&submit=Submit+Query&type=photos

How do you think yours compare?

Your rock:

https://www.eyeem.com/p/72421130

is out of focus!  Once again, 7 hearts!  For a photo where nothing is sharp!  By the way, that photo has motion blur.  You moved the camera while the shutter was open.

Your latest post (I think),

https://www.eyeem.com/p/73537056

is an interesting abstract still life.  It got 18 hearts, which suggests your social networking skills are better than your photography.  But, if you are just starting, keep exploring and studying.  You will improve.

Your selfie,

https://www.eyeem.com/p/73177936

is focused on the plant behind you, and the plant is acting as a halo!  There doesn’t seem to be any EXIF data associated with your photos.  If you are using a camera (as opposed to a phone), put it on a tripod, or on a shelf and use a remote shutter release or the self timer.  Prop a broom on a chair to provide a focus target, then turn off autofocus once focus is achieved.  Before the shutter releases, remove the broom and replace it with your face.  When photographing living things, most of the time you want the eyes or at least the nearest eye to be in focus.  There are exceptions.  Sometimes you may have someone hold their drink at arms length toward you, and you focus on the drink and blur their face for effect, but for a portrait, the eyes should be sharp even if nothing else is.

The definition of a faux here is someone who is charging for portraits/weddings/events but is clueless about creating reasonably good photos.  You are not a faux.  You are a beginner who is working on a lot of nature shots.

Pay attention to light.  Direction, brightness, softness, colour, shadow.  You are writing with light, use it to your advantage.

Pay attention to focus and to keeping the camera still.

Look at paintings and photographs to see what others have done.  Use the things you like, discard the rest.

Keep practicing.  Remove the photos you think are substandard.  Put up photos you are proud of.  Keep everything on your own machine so you can go back and see how far you have come and can re-edit some that are still worthy but were messed up by poor post processing.

And of course, have fun.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

Stop the Gaussian blur mask. Even untrained eyes can spot it.

Stop the selective color. It’s well-received in very, very few instances.

Stop HDR in post. Just don’t.

Stop the Gaussian blur mask AND selective color AND post-HDR together.

Mostly, don’t upload an entire memory card full of images for folks to pick through. It’s exhausting. 10 at most.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

Better yet, listen to CC. 🙂

Iansphotos
    Participant

I suspected that people were liking mine since I liked theirs.

Thanks for the feedback. All of these were done on a smartphone and that rock is for sale by Getty Images apparently. Lol

Thanks for taking the time to give me feedback.

Iansphotos
    Participant

Thanks for the tips EyeDocPhotog. 🙂

cameraclicker
    Participant

The EyeEm page seems to be strictly for phone photography.  At least, they want you do download a phone app to get started and I don’t see any way of uploading photos from a computer.  That suggests you may be using a phone for photography.  If you are serious about photography, you might like to get a device that was designed as a camera instead of as a phone with a camera built in as an afterthought.  Generally, cameras are easier to hold and are better at more kinds of photography.  But, if you are into phone photography, you might like this link.

http://www.shotwithmytrustyiphone.com/

You may also like this:

As far as the web page goes, the TOS says they can use your photos for their advertising.  It also says:

Indemnification

8.1 User shall indemnify EyeEm, its representatives, employees and agents and keep them indemnified against any losses, damages, expenses, costs, actions, claims, suits, litigation, causes of action, demands and liabilities which may be made against EyeEm by any third party for anything done or omitted in connection with (i) the User’s Community conduct and Content, (ii) any breach or violation of the User’s warranties or responsibility as set out in section 7, and (iii) the exercise or purported exercise of EyeEm’s rights hereunder.

8.2 This indemnification shall not cover claims by any third party which may occur because EyeEm has failed to delete or block Content without undue delay upon receipt of positive knowledge that such Content infringes the rights of any third party.

8.3 In cases of an aforementioned enforcement of claims by any third party, User will provide EyeEm with all available information that is needed for the examination of the claim and for the defence against it. User will provide such information immediately, truthfully and completely

So, this probably won’t be a problem if you are just posting trees and spiders.  It could become a problem if you start posting photos of people since they could potentially use one of your photos of a person, then make you pay damages if they are sued for using that person’s image in their ad.

Iansphotos
    Participant

They have you complete a model release for that. I’m not posting any people photos anyway at this point.

Most people on Eyeem seem to be using cameras and not phone most of the time.

Specifications

this is a very helpful website!

AaliyahLucy
    Participant

You learn by reading this article, do not know is that there is no need to worry.

Start with the basis for a very simple question that comes to mind is to cut our way?

The answer is that you always have your best photos in a way that ensures that it is easy to have.

It according to your wishes, Clipping Path and  wallpapers peace, which can vary in the same way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.