Home Forums Photography Showcase Please Critique My Work

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    andeaa06
    Participant

Hello,

I started doing freelance photography a little over a year ago. I took classes in college and always enjoyed it, so thought I could try to make some money doing it on the side. It has been going well so far. However, I came across this website and got paranoid and wondered if anyone would consider me a (cringe) “fauxtog”. If you think I might be, please let me know why, so I can better my skills. Otherwise, any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Here is a link to my portfolio: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ashley-AnneMarie-Photography/571765246215809?sk=photos_stream&tab=photos_albums

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

I had time to review only one set of photos, Kinley.

What I noticed straight away is the lack of consistency in white balance. You get this if you shoot in JPEG and leave your camera on auto white balance. A better technique would be to set the WB using a photodisk or some similar device to gain uniform colors across all the shots from the same shoot.

Another thing I noticed was a good deal of photos with lack of sharp focus. You need to lock focus on the eyes – if the eyes are out of focus, the whole photo is lost IMHO.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Even if shooting to raw files, white balance that’s all over the place is easy to achieve.  With raw files, it is easier to correct.

As EyeDocPhotog said, focus is a problem.  I didn’t get through all the photos either.

The studio shots (Danaille’s Dance Academy) don’t seem to have enough light.  Part of that could be white balance.  Part could be light placement.  Part could be light power.  Part could be the number of lights.

https://www.facebook.com/571765246215809/photos/a.711014405624225.1073741845.571765246215809/711015028957496/?type=3&theater, for instance, looks a lot better if you reset the white balance using the bottom of her tap shoe as your reference.  It seems you used a couple of softboxes that were level with her head.  Usually lights should be up high.  I suspect continuous lighting was used.  Moving one light closer and one further away will affect how much each contributes and shadows.  Most studio strobes, speedlites and high end continuous lights allow power to be adjusted.  Lights without power adjustment can only be moved to increase or decrease brightness at the subject.  This works against your modifiers which need to be close to your subject to produce the softest light.  Light falls off at the square of distance, so a close light will be much brighter near the light than it will a few inches/cm further away.   As you get further from the light, brightness is more consistent, but the source appears relatively smaller, so shadow is harsher.  All things you can play with to achieve the desired effect.

https://www.facebook.com/571765246215809/photos/a.711014405624225.1073741845.571765246215809/726810884044577/?type=3&theater, has the same lighting position problem going on.  I’m assuming this was a session of a bunch of kids at a dance studio?  So why did this little one get the ghoul lighting treatment, suitable for Halloween?  Most people don’t look their best with light shining up at them.  The backdrop has wrinkles.  Sometimes a smooth background looks good.  Some backgrounds are meant to be wrinkled, instead of rolling them, you stuff them in a bag and they have lots of irregular wrinkles.  You shoot your subject well in front of the backdrop with a lens open enough to blur the backdrop, which smooths out the wrinkles but provides some random patterns.  Shooting a backdrop with a few random sharp wrinkles just says you didn’t take care when setting up.

Focus, lighting, posing, white balance, all need work.  Moms love your photos because they are photos of their kids.  They could be much better photos.

Nikemax

As we each know, sports are incredibly significant for the sound growth of young folks. If they’ve access to good quality sports facilities, young individuals are capable to decide a healthier lifestyle, to boost self’esteem and self’assurance, and to construct a good outlook and sense of achievement.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.