Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography New here! Please critique!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    aidantw
    Participant

http://atruephotography.tumblr.com/

^^^ This is my site.

I get inquiries about doing senior photos and other things (I have done 3 unpaid senior sessions, 1 unpaid wedding, children & a few pets.) I’ve been asked about how much I would charge, though I do not claim to be a photographer, because I believe that word should only be used for professionals. As of now I’ve only done shoots for free to gain experience.

Please leave feedback! It would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Don
    Participant

The black and white photo of the girl in the white tank top is out of focus.

When asked how much you’d charge, the answer should be “nothing”.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Are you referring to

http://40.media.tumblr.com/c776366c97f214f14874055c7f767b87/tumblr_nhznyoavGo1u03vu2o4_1280.jpg

?

It looks focused to me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54048679@N07/16066886518/

Or, did you mean

http://36.media.tumblr.com/9283c2d5c3fd7da5f7e13c7750701670/tumblr_ndc7u52JPF1u03vu2o3_1280.jpg

?

Focus looks reasonably good there too:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54048679@N07/16066948778/

The rule, should you choose to follow it, is the near eye should be in focus.  Focus could be slightly further back, possibly an inch or so depending on her facial structure and the distance between the plane her lower lip is in and the one her eye is in.  Individual eyelashes are recognizable, and DOF is quite shallow, so it’s far from front page material, and the expression is great!  Expression and an interesting photo trump technical details, so it gets my vote as an acceptable picture.  Sharper eyes would take some focus off her mouth, where is the focus of this shot?  Would a slightly deeper DOF have been a better choice?

Aidan should try charging, to see what her market will bear.  People are charging for work that is inferior to hers.

Don
    Participant

The first one. Her hair, which is same distance from the camera as her eyes, shows the lack of focus.

aidantw
    Participant

Don- I haven’t charged anyone anything, no worries! I would not charge someone for something mediocre, as I myself would expect higher performance if I was shelling out my hard-earned money. However, the most recent senior I did insisted on giving me $20. But I wouldn’t charge for my own work as it is now.

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

Nice work!!

But I wouldn’t charge for my own work as it is now.

Why not?! Lots of folks with a oodles less talent than you are charging… I say, run them out of your town! 🙂

aidantw
    Participant

Because, if the tables were turned and it was myself paying for the photos, I’d expect more. I want to wait until I have more experience in all aspects before I start charging!

Don
    Participant

I do like the gold face paint photo. That one is very good.

aidantw
    Participant

Thank you! That was one of my first, hence the awkward cropping.

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

I like the little avatar shot of you the best!  Sorry if you didn’t take it. That shot has much more personality than any of the others.

Also, are you going for the wishy black look or is your monitor way to contrasty?

aidantw
    Participant

I did take it! & I’m pretty sure my monitor is not calibrated. I use two monitors but a picture could be muted on one screen and bright and vivid on the other. I’m not sure how to fix it/:

cameraclicker
    Participant
    IHF
    Participant

aidan, hate to do this to ya, but… it’s time you took on color management.  This link will help you get started

Overview of Color Management

and start printing and finishing your photographs regularly, you’ll learn so much and your photography will improve because of it.

Bill
    Participant

@ Aiden –  Ithink your doing okay.  I mean that in a very positive way.

I understand where Don is coming from and good to see that you have a good ethic about charging and who should be charging.  CC also nailed it as well, there are plenty of others out there that can’t focus to save their lives and put out utter crap as “professional” images, you could probably test the waters to see.  I wouldn’t see any harm in that.  If anyone were to ask, just say it is to pay for gas and such as you progress.

Word to the wise, don’t get too ahead of yourself if you do start to charge.  If you start charging and start to get a good clientele base, it may be hard to increase your rate as you get better.  That is where you’ll see who your “real” clients are.

Just take your time and keep your “dream” going and let the business end of it fall into place.

If you do anymore unpaid events, suck up as much knowledge as you can, techniques, workflows, editing styles, whatever you can, good or bad, then mesh that into your own style.  You’ll make mistakes, we all do, just learn from them.

Good work, keep shooting

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.