Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Making Studio Space

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PicklesThePug
    Participant

I’ve taken over 1400 sq.ft of space in our basement for “my space”.  Two rooms are large bedrooms, one which is being kept a guest room and I can use for boudoir photos.  One is storage and the big room is where I’ll finally be able to get people away from the backdrop.
    Now comes the work – I have to paint.  Ceilings are 9 ft, white.  Walls  – shall I paint them all white?  I was considering having a black wall, a grey wall, a white one – but that would have light bouncing funny.  What would you do with the space if you could?

The bedroom – again, all white?  I would prefer to paint it a light colour, something that will be complimentary to skin tones.  (I’ve done some in a light turquoise room which made skin tone hell)   Wondering if a lilac/mauve would work, as it would definitely work nicely for a guest room.

Thank you for any advice.

nesgran
    Participant

Paint the walls a pure shade of grey or white, it will save you headache in the long run. It depends a bit on your lighting what is the best colour. If you are using shoot through umbrellas you may want grey walls to be able to shape the light as you want but otherwise white will work. If you want to put colour on the walls in the bedroom just add gels to your lights, it’s not like you are going to be using the light bulb in the ceiling anyway. The only colour I’d consider would be a pale yellow but only in the bedroom. If you can get 18% without any colour cast and a colour that won’t take on a hue over time that would be easy to work with without being too dark. White on the other hand will have the advantage of making the space look bigger and more modern which is not to be sniffed at.

PicklesThePug
    Participant

Thanks nesgran.  I was considering colour in the bedroom not for my sake, but for guests.  I’ll do pale grey in there, and just add colour with accessories.  I’m using umbrellas and soft boxes, have halogen pot lights. Same for main room, plus a medium sized north window.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.