Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Feel like being brutally honest?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    rerunvp
    Participant

Newbie here! Thanks to Stumbleupon, I came across this site and I just signed up days ago. I crack up looking at the photos and your comments.

Since 2011, I have been seriously contemplating on developing a plan to pursue photography as a career. However, my busy schedule as an owner-agent of an insurance office (yeah, that’s really fun, I know) for over 10 years kind of keep me busy. But I really enjoy photography and would like to get your honest opinion to see if I have what it takes.

So fire away and give me your thoughts on what’s crap, what’s okay, what’s good, potential/no potential, or keep my day job, etcetera. I don’t take things too seriously and I know what I am getting myself into that I won’t be butt-hurt after I get my beating. I can appreciate criticisms especially from strangers, although I value the ones from friends and families but those can be very subjective. You, on the other hand, can be very objective.

Things are a bit “everywhere” — FB account here, website there, a blog and a flickr account (I have not updated these in a while). I need to consolidate for sure. Just a little bit more about me —  no formal photo schooling or education, I shoot RAW with my 5D Mark II and 7D, I have a couple of L-lenses 24-70 and 70-200, and a couple of primes. If you guys don’t think I have what it takes, anyone want to buy my gear, let me know. Haha… kidding.

http://clicksnpics.com/

http://facebook.com/clicksnpicsphoto

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j_jo/   —   the softball photos were for a friend, so you can ignore those

Thanks in advance. I have other follow up questions for those who do this professional, but I will wait for your comments. But please identify yourself if you do have a photog business because I’d like to pick your brains a little more on the business aspect of it all.

Jeremy

Thom
    Participant

Looks great Jeremy. Seems you have a natural gift for nice family photos (without the dreaded Olan Mills look).

Sorry, I’m mostly motion picture imaging so I can’t give you the skinny on the business end. But…I read a really great article here about the amount it would take to sustain a photography business (courtesy of another member):

http://www.mcpactions.com/blog/2009/10/12/how-should-i-price-my-photography-words-of-advice-from-jodie-otte/

Best wishes…

Thom

rerunvp
    Participant

Thom,

Thanks for your kind words and for the link. I sure would like to fine tune what I want to do with my photography, and your comment on “nice family photos” helps for sure.

Thanks again.

Jeremy

JanJan
    Participant

Hey Jeremy! Nice to see a fellow Vegas person on these boards! May I ask, what’s your favorite place to shoot in the Vegas area and why?

rerunvp
    Participant

alarnold,

Yes, good to know of another Vegas person on here. Sweet!

I don’t have a favorite per se, but I do enjoy shooting in the downtown area, the little art district we have, and quite a bit out of the way — Nelson’s Landing.

Where do you shoot? And what do you like to shoot? I’d like to see your work.

~j

Lauryn
    Participant

Just saying: I hate your name. Names like that set off warning bells.
    You’re not a fauxtographer, for sure, but you’re not at pro level yet either. Just keep on working and developing your eye, and you’ll continue to get better.

rerunvp
    Participant

ErisedDawn,

I agree — not at pro level or even close. I have lot to learn for sure. Thanks for your input, but kindly define “pro level” because I have seen works of by so-called “professional,” and the only thing that makes them say they are a pro I think is that they get paid doing photography for others, but their work is far from what I would call “professional.” Others humbly say they are amateurs but my gosh, their work looks professional! The word is very subjective. But what do I know.

Is the name “rerunvp” you’re referring to that you hate, or is it the Clicks-n-Pics, or my real name Jeremy, or all of the above? 🙂 Rerunvp is Rerun Van Pelt, a Peanuts Gang character, little brother of Lucy and Linus; but of course, no one could immediately know that. That’s where I got that from.

Clicks-n-Pics… that’s kind of self-explanatory with photography and all. As for the name Jeremy, I like my name for sure. I’m just glad my parents didn’t give me some fancy or whacked out combination of names.

Thanks again.

dont.care
    Participant

My definition of a ‘professional’ is someone who takes great care and consideration for the people they work for.. Someone who stands by their work and the quality of their work.. Someone who is honest, has integrity and has values. Someone who has spent a considerable amount of time amassing knowledge and experience based on their ‘profession. Someone who has spent time and money amassing the proper tools for the job.. Someone that is responsible for what they produce and is willing to accept responsibility for things that go wrong..

rerunvp
    Participant

dont.care,

What a fantastic way to define “professional!” I like you how went beyond just the technical aspects of the business. Thanks. It greatly applies to any kind of profession.

~j

Thom
    Participant

In defense of your “professionalism”…I work here in Los Angeles, and I’ve looked at my share of headshots/portfolios and I think your portrait work (in particular senior photos) bests some of the shit I see out here who’ve labeled themselves professional. Your shots are well conceived, crafted and natural.That is the toughest nut to crack, since most amateurs throw EVERY single filter, color pack, presets, gimmicks in hopes of NOT seeing the real image. Your work doesn’t have all that nonsense. So personally, I would consider you a professional.

In terms of naming your photo sight, I think just your real name seems to suit your style. I think what ErisedDawn was implying is that the big dogs just use their names. I once had a girlfriend try to talk me out of naming my photo sight “Pudgy Bunny Photography.” She was right. I was wrong.

rerunvp
    Participant

Thom,

Wow! I humbly accept your compliments, man. Thank you so much. I have work to do to get better, I know, but comments like yours sure are inspiring to get better.

I do need to get rid of the “cutesy” stuff naming the photography biz — duly noted. Thanks again.

~j

JanJan
    Participant

This is my portfolio. Feel free to give me any critiques or suggestions:
    http://www.photosbyanjanette.com/

My favorite places are Nelson and the dry lake bed near Nelson

rerunvp
    Participant

Anjanette,

Beautiful stuff! The lighting is naturally superb. I can’t wait to see what you can do when you launch your photography into full force. Maybe we can collaborate some time and see more of your photography and design work.

~j

iliketag
    Participant

Hello Rerun! I checked out a lot of the shots and I like them 🙂 One of my biggest pet peeves is facial over editing. I know girls want to look  blemish free but don’t forget to leave some of their natural texture, otherwise they may end up looking like a barbie!

Anjanette,
    I know this really has nothing to do with the images themselves (which I really enjoyed!) but I LOVE how you list where the shot was taken on some of them. I know some photographers have their “best kept secrets” but one of the things I like about photography is how it’s possible for everyone to see and utilize things differently – including locations 🙂 I wish more people would do that!

rerunvp
    Participant

iliketag,

Thank you for your valuable input and taking the time to look at the images.

And thank you to all, for taking the time to look and comment, for suggesting a change in the name, for sharing what it means to be professional, for encouraging to keep shooting to further develop my skills and not rely so much or overdo filtering or editing to the point the subject looks unnatural. I surely will keep your comments to mind.

One last thing, I know when shooting a wedding for example, editing can be overwhelming with the number of photos taken. I do my best to shoot close to “perfection” (a subjective term, I know) so I don’t have to edit as much. But does anyone outsource the editing to someone else to give you more time to market or do something else for your business, or do you do your own editing? I know it’s important to convey your style and brand in your work, and can potentially lose those things if the photos are farmed out to someone who don’t know your style. But I’m sure no one just farms out the photos to anyone without really getting to know each other’s style of work. Thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.