Home Forums Am I a Fauxtog? Fauxtogs who should end up on the main page…

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 2,761 through 2,775 (of 3,098 total)
  • Author
    seth
    Participant

I think a lot of time they pretend to be free, they are just trying to avoid taxes and insurance and whatnot

seth
    Participant

I think a lot of time they pretend to be free, they are just trying to avoid taxes and insurance and whatnot

picstop
    Participant

What a lot of clients don’t realize (or possibly care little or not at all) is that many of these facebook (and other social media photogs) aren’t real businesses.  Some are and just post on social media as another way to reach customers as I do.  Most aren’t though I’m sure they think they are.   As such, they don’t pay taxes (hurts everyone when a business or individual does not contribute to their fair share), don’t have insurance and generally don’t care about the client.  Why do I say that?  Well,  I’m always a bit surprised to hear from clients that “so and so photography” does not require them to sign a contract so why do I?  Well, as a real business, the contract not only protects me from certain liabilities but also protects the clients as to what I will (and will not) do for the day, mainly for their wedding day.  Fauxs fly by the seat of their pants, whichever way the wind blows.  For those who think paying crap for a photographer is a bargain, you may rue the day you “liked” their page.  I just wish more people would realize that “The flowers wilt and die, the limo goes home after dropping you at the reception, the dj goes home after the reception, the cake gets eaten and is long gone, the chair covers you so meticulously picked out along with the rest of the linen goes back to the rental company and the reception hall closes it’s doors at the end of the night. BUT, the photos last a lifetime.”  Interesting how many people think the photos should cost pennies in comparison to the rest.

IHF
    Participant

Yes, there’s a lot of assumptions by the public when it comes to fauxtography businesses.
    We had one faux post here once, a link to her competitor’s page along with a little bashing. The competitor was legit start up. The faux on the other hand…
    The faux actually won a county wide small business award for being the best photography business in her county. They started the awards to help promote their county and promote small businesses in their area, in the hopes to attract more revenue. But, they gave the award to someone who doesn’t have a tax ID, doesn’t have insurance, has unprofitable prices (well… Except it’s all made under the table), lacks any sort of expertise, or store front, all because they ASSUMED she was running a profitable legit business like she claimed she was.
    Then you have the people who say “I never claimed to be a professional” when called out, yet… They charge, they market, and sell their services to the public. Huh? Yep, your clients and future clients will assume you are profitable, you are paying your fed taxes, you are collecting sales tax, you’re insured, and they are patronizing a real business, that they are hiring someone that put thought into what they do, and kno more about photography and the business of than they do. Why would they not think this when someone sets up shop?

It’s a strange phenomenon. I’ll never quite understand the why behind fauxtography businesses. I would say they are self serving, but most times they are far from it and run these “businesses” until they run out of money or drive. They are more self detrimental. It’s just so strange. The dishonesty runs deep.

urkiddingright
    Participant

Togs who avoid taxes and insurance have no business (no pun intended) being in “business.”  If you’re not willing to go the whole way to be legit, then please just return your gear to the local big box electronics store where you got it and take up a different hobby.

I completely agree with everything you said, picstop!  People think that photography should be cheap because, in their eyes, all the photographer does is show up, take some photos and go home to upload.  Fauxtogs like Maria Ann and Simply Sweet (mentioned on the previous page) aren’t helping to break that idea at all.  All they see are dollar signs so charging $300 for a wedding seems great to them because it’s $300 more than they had before.  And the more and more brides/clients see grainy, out of focus garbage, the more they will think that is the norm and REAL photographers will continue to struggle.

seth
    Participant

The majority of “normal” people do think that just because someone calls themselves a business that they ARE a business and doing everything they’re supposed to be doing.  And maybe that’s because they DON’T care, they only want the best price so they don’t care if they go to someone who’s not paying taxes or buying insurance.  After all, what are the chances they’ll need that insurance with your shoot and if they do, well that’s their problem right, and it’s their problem if the tax guys come after them, what does the client care?  They got a session with disc for $30, they’re done.

picstop
    Participant

You’re right, seth.  I think those who hire a faux simply don’t care.

There are exceptions of course but for the most part, those that hire a faux have low standards (and are cheap).  They’ve bought into the “I don’t rip you off with high prices…you only pay for the pics not my overhead…the pics SHOULD belong to you…” and various other b.s. lines fauxs have thought up over the years to convince people they should “hire” them (so they can make a few bucks on a weekend) as opposed to hiring someone who knows what they are doing.  For the most part, I’m fine with that.  These are people I don’t want as customers.  If you can’t appreciate the difference between the shot I’ve taken with my equipment (with my expertise behind it) and the pp-ing I do versus some hack with their basic dslr/kit lens pp-ing to death with some hack program, then I don’t want you as a customer.  I’m also not interested in someone who wants to hire me solely on price.  I love to adapt to any reasonable budget and custom make a package but I don’t match my local faux’s prices.  You want faux prices, hire the faux.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to say that to people (in a nice way of course).  And “cash is king” is something that makes me laugh too.  I’ve actually had people not hire me because I wouldn’t take cash.  Well, I will, because I don’t really want to be paid in chickens, but if the intent of the customer (which it is sometimes) is that they then won’t have to pay the tax because they’re giving me cash, well, the door is ready for you to use it.

In any case, the people just don’t care because only a moron doesn’t think that the tv being sold in one store for $400 while the one in the other for $3000 doesn’t have something fishy about it.  Prices and abilities vary, always have and always will.  Drastic variation in ability and price normally gets your consumer esp working overtime.  For some reason, these days, when it comes to “pro photographers”, consumer’s good sense has gone out the window.  Sadly, you get what you pay for and even more pathetic, they seem to be happy with it.  Or they’re lying.

fstopper89
    Participant

Picstop, you hit the nail on the head. It’s frustrating when these fauxs just open up shop and have no idea what they’re doing. All they care about is a quick buck. It sounds extremely cliche, but photography is my passion. It has been a hobby since I was old enough to operate a disposable camera and even when I was a little kid I said I wanted to be a photographer when I grew up. I learned this from nothing and worked my way up to where I am now and still keep learning. Photography makes me happy, like painting makes a painter happy. So when I see the faux basically disgracing the thing that I love in the name of double-digit money it angers me. Then I have to take deep breaths. And the sad part is many of these continue for years taking crappy photos. You’d think if they actually cared, they would improve within a few months. but the don’t. Then their clients love the photos and praise them because they have emotional attachment to the photos.

Anyways, my contribution for the night: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=783978401660581&set=pcb.882836301734491&type=1&theater

This was from a statewide model/photographer page. This entire shoot is just WEIRD. Bad photography and bad styling for the model.

Daeyn
    Participant
    fstopper89
    Participant

Today a photographer was asking in a photography group for advice on how to deal with a crazy client, well actually the friend of the paying client who was criticizing the photos and how the session went and threatening to sure her. We were offering advice such as still talking to her and speak with the actual paying client, and parent of the senior who the photogs were taken of. Myself and others asked her to show examples of what this woman was calling horrible photos. The girl messaged me the gallery link. First off, there were only about a dozen photos she gave them from the entire session. The senior boy was posed awkwardly in most and everything had a terrible yellow green cast. She asked me to critique them. First I told her about the green color cast and asked if she had a color-calibrated monitor. She said she didn’t know what that was and was defending herself saying she’s never had problems with color in the past. Then I viewed each photo at 100% and all but three were unacceptably out of focus and had the worst color noise I’ve seen. I told her this in nicer terms. I said that if those photos were printed larger than a 4×6 it would be unacceptable. I asked what camera and lens she has and she said a T1i and 18-55 lens and made excuses as to why she can’t afford better gear right now. I asked a rhetorical question, “are the clients expecting to be able to make large prints?” and she said “we never talked about their expectations. ” Doh. I told get that from a client’s perspective, if I were paying for photography, I would expect the quality to be able to make very large prints. She kept dodging the real issues and was so hung up on this crazy lady who was messaging her. Ugh.

TheBabyWhisperer
    Participant

Just gotta leave this here. Why people choose to spend their money on poor photography, I’ll never understand. Save your money and invest it in proper photography!

https://www.facebook.com/PinkcuppiecakesPhotography

picstop
    Participant

Yikes.  What a name!  Pinkpuppiecakes?  No, pinkcuppiecake.  Oh, I forgot the “photography”.  Well, miss pink cuppie’s output can be called a lot of things but I wouldn’t call it “photography”.  I just have no words any more to express the exasperation at how people will tolerate these train-wrecks and call it “photography”.  Kudos to pink girl for finding the suckers and separating them from their cash.

NoLoveLossless
    Participant

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH! I did not see one.single.photo. of a bride in PCCP’s pictures that didn’t have the dress blown out to hell and back. And that poor bride in this set – https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.739925642720999.1073741879.208781335835435&type=3  – did Ms. PCCP hate her or something? It is as if she intentionally took every bad angle available and made it her mission to make sure they were part of the album.

HOW DO THESE IDIOTS KEEP GETTING BUSINESS?!?!?!?!?! *going to go bang head against wall now…*

NoLoveLossless
    Participant

Keeeeeee-RIST – here’s another one for your Sunday coffee sipping pleasure….

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.262524120563390.1073741861.166148240200979&type=3

NoLoveLossless
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 2,761 through 2,775 (of 3,098 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.