Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Famous Yogi Photographer…Less than Impressive

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rachel
    Participant

Okay, so I feel semi-horrible posting this here.  I’m a yoga enthusiast, and also a photography enthusiast.  I’d like to think I’m realistic in that I know I’m not amazing in either of these realms.  Recently, though, I’ve come across a yoga photographer who seems to be doing pretty amazingly well (articles in New York Times, Huff Post, gigs with all the most renowned yoga instructors out there) and to me is sub-par.  His name is Robert Sturman – here’s his website: http://robertsturmanstudio.com.  I’m actually pretty frustrated with how well this guy is doing considering that his photos are poorly-taken, completely over-processed, and just plain…cheap-looking.  Yikes!

The only thing he’s got going for him, in my opinion, is the models/yogis themselves who look great in their poses, wear neat clothes that make things interesting, and, okay he’s done well with staging them.  I feel pretty badly – he has a nice vision, but seriously, what kind of camera is he using?  I think he needs to have a professional photographer execute his plan and then it would be perfect!

I just don’t understand – can anyone tell me why people are fawning over his photos?  You can’t even see the people’s faces in half of them – they look ashen and washed out with the HDR effect that he loves.   My mind is blown by his success…I know I’m not even a good photographer but I think I could do much better than this – famous last words, right?

Interested to hear what others think…mostly to know that I’m not crazy for thinking this guy is less than impressive.

cameraclicker
    Participant

Not yoga but similar photo situation in terms of a performer and background in staged photos.  Compare for yourself:

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/2011/10/05/on-location-20-stories-high-with-epson/

Worst Case Scenario
    Participant

Some are better than the others and most could do with some better processing, but seriously, have you even seen the sort of shots we normally look at here?

Take a look here and tell me if your guys HDR is really worthy of a mention on this site…..

https://www.facebook.com/LordParkerPhotography/photos/a.145646875559071.3454.145352765588482/239268279530263/?type=1&theater

nairbynairb
    Participant

Yeah, his photos aren’t that good… Not publish good for sure.

But this just goes to show that sometimes it’s more about WHAT you’re taking a photo of rather than HOW it’s taken.

Because he is doing photos of something that not a lot of other people are… he can get more work.

Bagga_Txips
    Participant

He’s not very good at horizons…

EyeDocPhotog
    Participant

what was the point of this post?

photobunny
    Participant

I totally agree.  I actually get mad looking at his terrible photography.

This person who takes these yogi photos is much better (in my opinion) http://www.yogicphotos.com

bananaslugs
    Participant

Technically speaking he’s not very good but he has some interesting ideas, composition, and poses. Not good but not faux either. Like nairbynairb pointed out, he seems to have found a niche photographing something that not many others are doing, as opposed to something like flower photography, which the market is over-saturated with. You could produce fantastic flower pics without ever getting published, but if you do something less common like this guy you can kind of get away with technically mediocre execution.

Skypl

Audio converter.rar DiE DR3i – Das Haus Der 1000 Raetsel 20kbps – Cover] Foxit Reader Pro Pack v2.0.1606 Regged-EXPLOSiON Hannah Montana One In A Million 2008 DVDRip XviD-EPiSODE( download password software stealing World War II Photos Microsoft Entertainment Pack-The Puzzle Collection Setup.exe The Real World Road Rules Challenge S17 The Shit They Should Have Shown DSR XviD-SAiNTS{{{{{{www see 15000 Photoshop Shapes Mega pack download michael scotts great scott download andreas auto game grand san theft Obn 220509 ProEQugin for Cool Edit 2000 v1.1 by Crack Demon Cartel – Chroma.zip Nod32 Antivirus V3.0.642 With Dasumo v3 Crack – Working Until 18.07.2029 download free fashion games download elfen lied bittorrent sno full winpwn 2.0.0.3 Setup CRYSIS WARS RUS.ru] download mia smiles for free Mechwarrior 4 – Vengeance norton antivirus 2009 download saw dvd rip Harun Yahya – 24 hours in the life of a muslim Bad Boys 2 nic2006 1 2 linux tar gz TEMPLATES download microsoft office trialware download punjabi songs free A History Of Modern Computing 2nd ed – Paul Ceruzzi (bookgod ) shrek trilogy Mae Q’West and the Sign of the Stars (DE)] WampServer2.0c.exe download ms dos unformat download free pokemon gold silver Adeaze Screensaver Firefox Setup 3.0.rar KГ¶rkortsfrГҐgorna till Bil och Mc

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.