Home Forums Let’s Talk Photography Did I overlook something?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MrsManiak
    Participant

Courtney

So I’ll just come right out with it, is there something I missed on the technical side of this photo? The “posing” was spur of the moment, us being silly while she was helping me experiment with new equipment (reflectors, mainly).

To me, it looks like the camera is more in focus than her eye, but I may just be being overly cautious about it as that is one thing I fret about now.

IHF
    Participant

it’s a nice snap of someone holding a camera.  The eye seems over sharpened though lol or maybe you worked it a little?  Not necessary for a shot like this

MrsManiak
    Participant

I do have one where I did sharpen the eye, but this one wasn’t it. I scrapped that one because it looked too over the top haha

MrsManiak
    Participant

I do run a high pass/overlay at around 10% opacity for most of my shots as a finish to my post processing, maybe it wasn’t required for this one

cameraclicker
    Participant

Her eye really stands out.  It might be a stop too bright for the rest of her face.

You asked about focus.  I see the stitching on her cuff, and the weave in the fabric, and individual eyelashes are visible although many seem to be clumped together by mascara.  Even the hair at the back of her head is reasonably sharp.  Focus seems to start falling off about where I think her ears are.    Sometimes you need enough DOF to have your subject (the eye) and items in front of your subject (the camera) all in focus, and I think you succeeded in that.  Some photos with out of focus foreground work and others fail, and I can’t articulate what makes one work and the other not, except that if the out of focus foreground bothers my vision, I dislike the picture.

What strikes me is that she seems pasted onto the background.  The pier she is standing on seems as out of focus as the tree line in the distance.  The bubbles at the edge of the pier seem odd.  The tree line is a bit of a problem, too, since it forms a line that cuts through her head.

MrsManiak
    Participant

I’m not sure why she seems pasted on, I’m assuming I should have used a smaller aperture, so the dock wouldn’t be as out of focus. It was a floating dock at the end of a wooden pier, so I’m guessing those white dots were plastic covers of some kind. I don’t know much about boats/docks lol. Aaaaaaand damn, the tree line. I didn’t even notice that aspect of it :/

At least now I have some more things to work on, thank you 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.