Home Forums Main YANAP Discussion Forum Assisting a Fauxtographer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    SunburntZombie
    Participant

I assisted a ‘photographer’ at a wedding about a week ago, it was a beautiful venue and seemed very lavish and expensive. Me and this photographer have been friends for some time now and their ‘business’ seems to have more activity than mine so they asked me to join them as a second photographer when they need me. They asked me to assist them at a wedding last week so I went along and got some candid shots along with some of my own posed ones to add to my own portfolio and give the couple something nice at the end of it all. Sadly upon looking through the 2000+ photos the main ‘photographer’ took during the couples special day, 99% of them were poorly composed, out of focus and generally way below my expectations. Heads and arms were amputated, camera setting were beyond questionable and the noise from a devastatingly high ISO was heart breaking. I haven’t had time to talk to them yet because they went to another country to shoot another wedding. What do I say to them when they get back?

cameraclicker
    Participant

You and some photographer are friends.  He/she/they asked you to help out at a wedding, at which he/she/they shot 2000+ photos, 99% of which are reported to be crap!   This leaves 20 good photos!

If that was one person shooting, at an 8 hour function, it works out to just over a photo every 15 seconds, non-stop!  For a 10 hour event, it works out to a shot every 18 seconds, non-stop.

Weddings are like herding cats.  Getting everyone together for the shot is time consuming.  Getting everyone looking at the camera without blinking is a challenge.  As is getting a good expression on everyone’s face.   I don’t think I could do 2000 photos in a day.  A big day for me is 800 or so.  At the wedding before last, there were 3 of us shooting.  We started at breakfast and continued until mid-night.  All together we only shot about 2100 photos and the couple only got about 600 to choose from after duplicates, blinks, flash misfires, and so on were removed.

Heads and arms being amputated is common in candid shots of large groups.  The frame has to be somewhere and if people are standing as a mass, and you are picking out individuals, something’s gotta give.  On the other hand, amputating parts of your actual subject, unintentionally, is not good.

What to say when they get back?  How about “hello”?

IHF
    Participant

“Hello” (giggle)

CC is absolutely right though.  They hired you, not the other way around.

If they ask you to second again decline and say why if you are uncomfortable with it.  Otherwise, just know you got paid for a job well done and move on.

fautox1977
    Participant

If they went on another country to shoot a wedding… they are probably good.

The final result will come from about 10% of that work that will be transformed beyond recognition in photoshop.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.